The Atari XEGS

Started by TL, June 06, 2013, 20:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest4753

Nice to see an article on it, just a few things:

1) The article makes it seem like the XE computer line was created after the 520ST and 7800 re-introduction. The XE Computers were introduced at the January '85 alongside the STs, and actually started shipping in March - way before the retail release of the 520ST that Fall.

2) The XEGS did not compete against the 2600JR/7800, it was specifically targeted to the "high end market" (for people who wanted a game console that could also convert into a computer) to place the company in all three levels of the market (low (2600), mid (7800), high (XEGS)). In the US is was mainly marketed in electronics chains and computer stores.

3) There were only several ads comparing the XEGS to the NES, mainly because of it's computer expansion capabilities. Again, the intent was in boxing in the NES from all three market levels vs. the XEGS directly competing against the NES. The 7800 was the one positioned to directly compete against the NES.

TL

Quote from: "martyg"Nice to see an article on it, just a few things:

1) The article makes it seem like the XE computer line was created after the 520ST and 7800 re-introduction. The XE Computers were introduced at the January '85 alongside the STs, and actually started shipping in March - way before the retail release of the 520ST that Fall.

2) The XEGS did not compete against the 2600JR/7800, it was specifically targeted to the "high end market" (for people who wanted a game console that could also convert into a computer) to place the company in all three levels of the market (low (2600), mid (7800), high (XEGS)). In the US is was mainly marketed in electronics chains and computer stores.

3) There were only several ads comparing the XEGS to the NES, mainly because of it's computer expansion capabilities. Again, the intent was in boxing in the NES from all three market levels vs. the XEGS directly competing against the NES. The 7800 was the one positioned to directly compete against the NES.

Thanks for the reply Marty and correcting me on the first couple of points :(  There is actually a thread with loads of those adverts in here.

I will be doing another article on the XEGS soon for somebody else it looks like, so I was going to speak to you about that anyway!

sloan

XEGS is a system that has been elusive for me to find for quite a while. Saw one on Craigslist a couple years back complete for some crazy low price like $30 and didn't get to the seller in time. Still kicking myself.

TrekMD

Quote from: "sloan"XEGS is a system that has been elusive for me to find for quite a while. Saw one on Craigslist a couple years back complete for some crazy low price like $30 and didn't get to the seller in time. Still kicking myself.

That was quite the deal.  Gorf had a XEGS he wanted to sell.  You may want to contact him to see how much he wants for it. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "sloan"XEGS is a system that has been elusive for me to find for quite a while. Saw one on Craigslist a couple years back complete for some crazy low price like $30 and didn't get to the seller in time. Still kicking myself.

That was quite the deal.  Gorf had a XEGS he wanted to sell.  You may want to contact him to see how much he wants for it.

Apparently the XEGS is much harder to get hold of in the US than it is in Europe.

sloan

Quote from: "The Laird"Apparently the XEGS is much harder to get hold of in the US than it is in Europe.

Y, I have never seen one in the wild in all my years of game hunting. That and TG-16. People just hold onto them around my area, I guess.

TL

My latest video takes an in-depth look at the highly under rated Atari XE Games System. I talk about the console, the history and show you some of the best games! I even included a few genuine adverts for the console!

TrekMD

Can't spend the hour watching the video right now so I'll save it to watch later.  :) 

TrekMD

I just finished wathcing this!  Very nice video, Laird.  I can see you really like Star Raiders II.  ;) I was also disappointed with the sound effects for Desert Falcon and Dark Chambers on the XEGS. I was expecting something more impressive than what the 7800 offers.

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"I just finished watching this!  Very nice video, Laird.  I can see you really like Star Raiders II.  :1:

Dark Chambers and Desert Falcon are both better on the 7800, which is the more powerful machine, but the XEGS does have the superior sound chip. Dark Chambers is an excellent game though and very impressive technically, really pushes the machine in terms of sprites. I do feel Desert Falcon could have been better but it's still a good game.

TrekMD

The sound is what I was not impressed with.  As you say, the XEGS has a better sound chip!  It should have had nicer sound.  You have to wonder what happened there.

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"The sound is what I was not impressed with.  As you say, the XEGS has a better sound chip!  It should have had nicer sound.  You have to wonder what happened there.

I know the programmer of Dark Chambers, he helped me with the Retro Gamer article I did on the XEGS. He was telling me that basically it was a one man project and Atari wouldn't pay for somebody to do the sound on it, so what you got was that!

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "TrekMD"The sound is what I was not impressed with.  As you say, the XEGS has a better sound chip!  It should have had nicer sound.  You have to wonder what happened there.

I know the programmer of Dark Chambers, he helped me with the Retro Gamer article I did on the XEGS. He was telling me that basically it was a one man project and Atari wouldn't pay for somebody to do the sound on it, so what you got was that!

Why am I not surprised?! 

TL

TrekMD

That version of Battlezone does look very good.