Amiga Thread

Started by zapiy, March 06, 2012, 23:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Well i am rather please to say i was and i still am an Amiga 500 owner.

Must have a fair few games, (may have to count one day).

Loved SWOS, Gods, R-Type, Strider, Speedball and many other.

Remeber the click and clunk noise when putting in a disk.

Great memories.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Havantgottaclue

I came to the Amiga party fairly late on - I bought an Amiga 1200 in 1992. Coming from the C64 it was only natural that 2 games I took to straight away were the two Turrican games. I later got hold of Turrican 3 which of course was a Megadrive conversion. It didn't go down that well with the reviewers IIRC who thought the less sprawling levels of Turrican 3 were a bit restrictive. Personally I didn't mind, I enjoyed all 3 in different ways.

I enjoyed the Sid Meier games in particular - Railroad Tycoon and Civilization I'd already played on the ST and the PC respectively. But the game that ate up more of my time than any was Colonization. There was a lot more thought put into adapting the game for the Amiga's UI than had been the case with Sid's earlier games, which still clearly betrayed their MS-DOS origins, visually.

Greyfox

Yes..I joined the ranks of the Amiga back in 1991, when just after selling my Atari ST (holds head in shame  :)

TL

Anonymous

I have an Amiga 600 in my loft, sadly no games left but in time i aim to change that. Shadow of the Beast, Flashback, Another World are all the games i would need to be happy.

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

onthinice

Great video! Nice selection of games that really show off the system.

zapiy

Cheers again, like the last vids I made. It's more a most played top 10 than a overall top 10.

dougtitchmarsh

My brother was the Amiga owner in our house, and had an A500, then A1200. I used to muscle in on some games such as SWIV and Zool.

I recently found my Amiga purchases in my garage in a stack box, somehow I have ended up with 3 of them and can't find a power supply anywhere Doh!
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

Katzkatz

The Amiga is probably my favourite retro computer of all time.  I got mine back in 1990.  It was 'The Flights of Fantasy' pack. 

There are so many great games for it : Monkey Island, Civilization, First Samurai, Rainbow Islands, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, Jaguar XJ220, etc.  I could go on for a very long time.

I did a few serial link multiplayer link up games as well.  Knights of the Sky and Populous II were great with that feature. 

I did also use it for some serious work.  I did have AMOS for it, but only did a few simple things in that.  I loved using Deluxe Paint as well(a massive shame that EA didn't continue that for the PC, in my opinion).  I played around with NoiseTracker and OctaMED as well.  I also used Text Engine for word processing. 

So many happy memories of that machine.  It was so far ahead of its time. 

TL

Review of the A600 from The One magazine:

Bobinator

I never had an Amiga, myself, but I have to admit that there's a ton of exclusives on the thing that are worth trying out. It's mostly the platformers that I'm into, but there's a few pretty good SHMUPs on there, too, like Banshee. I still keep wanting to get one of those really, really powerful Amigas that can play Quake, just for the novelty value.

Amiga Longplay [112] Ruff 'n' Tumble

For the record, this would have to be my favorite game on the system. It just feels so... authentically console like.

Alberto 2K

Wow, that game looks great! I also need to get one Amiga sooner or later, after my bad experience with the CD32 seller I almost gave up...

With a 1200 and CF card adaptor I would be happy!
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

Gorf

Well....call me strange but I see nothing in those games that could not be done on a Genny or an ST
for that matter.

Bobinator

Quote from: "Gorf"Well....call me strange but I see nothing in those games that could not be done on a Genny or an ST
for that matter.

Well, if we're talking games that weren't on the Genesis/Megadrive, of which there were plenty, there you go. It's all about the exclusives. You have a game that you can't play on anything else, there's your edge when you compare these sorts of things.