Not quite the arcade at home...

Started by guest4277, July 03, 2012, 12:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Quote from: "Crusto"I loved enduro racer on the SMS, like you said, great game in its own right. I'm sure it wasn't well received by reviewers at the time iirc.

Really? Did they moan it was too different to the arcade game?

Crusto

I think so, I could be wrong here though I'm going by memory and that's not quite so reliable anymore :).

I really enjoyed the amstrad version too and also managed to play on the speccy version. Which was better yet iirc.
Bitches leave

TL

Quote from: "Crusto"I think so, I could be wrong here though I'm going by memory and that's not quite so reliable anymore :).

I really enjoyed the amstrad version too and also managed to play on the speccy version. Which was better yet iirc.

Yeah the Amstrad version was just a port of the Speccy one, which ran faster.

TL

I was reading in the Atari History book how the programmer of the arcade version of Crystal Castles was really upset about the 2600 version of the game. Apparently he didn't even know it was being produced and actually wanted to do it himself. When the game was presented to him he hated it and said it was nothing like his arcade original.

When I read this I thought it was quite strange as I always felt the 2600 version was quite close to the arcade game. Just shows how people's perception can be different. I see many people say that NES Double Dragon is just like the coin-op, when in fact it's almost a completely different game.

TrekMD

That's quite interesting.  I always thought the 2600 version of Crystal Castles did a superb job in capturing the essence of the game.  It may not have isometric graphics (or is that oblique?) that are like that of the arcade but it manages quite well.

I have to wonder what did he have in mind as his version of Crystal Castles for the 2600.  Obviously, something very different! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"I was reading in the Atari History book how the programmer of the arcade version of Crystal Castles was really upset about the 2600 version of the game. Apparently he didn't even know it was being produced and actually wanted to do it himself. When the game was presented to him he hated it and said it was nothing like his arcade original.

When I read this I thought it was quite strange as I always felt the 2600 version was quite close to the arcade game. Just shows how people's perception can be different. I see many people say that NES Double Dragon is just like the coin-op, when in fact it's almost a completely different game.

Wonder how he'd of felt given he'd been working within limits of 2600 hardware? would frustration of set in, him abandoning project? Wonder what he would have tried to aim for:replicating look of the arcade game as close as possible or capturing the spirt of it?.

Bobinator

OK, so they're PRETTY close, but...

The SNES version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time is a lot better than the arcade version, I'd say. Sure, it's missing some extra visual effects, and you can only have two players, but I'd say the gameplay's a lot better. You've got more moves, the difficulty's more balanced to account for the fact you're playing it on a console, and there's a new level exclusive to the SNES version.

TMNT4: Turtles in Time (SNES Technodrome Stage)

There's also a VS mode, which, while it's not going to replace SF2 any day, is a nice extra feature.

Crusto

Can we include nemesis on the CPC here? I mean its that terrible it could be a different game couldn't it. The mountains spit asteroids in the arcade version, they spit peas in the CPC version.
Bitches leave

Gorf

Well as far as 2600 Zaxxon goes....that would have been better to just give it a different name and be done with
it. As far as the 2600 not being able to do an isometric view, I doubt that, especially nowadays with what some
are doing with bBasic.

As far as SMS's version...there was just no excuse....that machine should have been able to do that game with little problem. It was basically the same machine as the Colecovision which did a pretty damn good version. Laziness and
a bit of Sega taking it's fans for fools.

In fact the VDP was essentially the TMS9918 which was pretty much the same as that in the Colecovision and the SMS actually have more onboard ram than colecovison, 8k vs 1k. No excuses are allowed here.

TL

TrekMD

Dang, that's very different indeed!  Was it Nintendo just trying to have an "exclusive" or due to system limitations?

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Dang, that's very different indeed!  Was it Nintendo just trying to have an "exclusive" or due to system limitations?

Probably a bit of both

Rogue Trooper

Nes Skull+Crossbones was an unlicensed port or so it seems, probably why so much is changed.

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Nes Skull+Crossbones was an unlicensed port or so it seems, probably why so much is changed.

Unlicensed game yes, as Tengen never had an official Nintendo 3rd party license.

But it was not an unlicensed port as Tengen/Atari produced the arcade version too.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Nes Skull+Crossbones was an unlicensed port or so it seems, probably why so much is changed.

Unlicensed game yes, as Tengen never had an official Nintendo 3rd party license.

But it was not an unlicensed port as Tengen/Atari produced the arcade version too.

well if it's harware limits that are the reason, how come the C64 tape version is'nt done in a totally different style? Nes hardware+storage space of cart offers more scope than a C64+tape.