Atari 7800 eXpansion Module (XM)

Started by TrekMD, October 05, 2012, 22:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davyk

I've been lukewarm to the XM as it's not really a 7800 any more but I have to say I'm getting a trifle excited about this now.

TrekMD

I think that's something people have said but it is still a 7800. The XM only adds functions that were meant to be included in the system back then and that would have been added to carts.  The cost of those carts became too expensive, though, and we only got two games that had POKEY and another handful that had added memory.  By having it all in one unit, there is no longer a need for carts to have extra hardware.  So, having learned so much of what was intended for the 7800, I see adding the XM as the 7800 as it was meant to be.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

davyk

I have had a 7800 for a long time but it's a PAL unit and I've been loathe to invest too much in games for it; reason being the usual PAL compromises from that era giving us a less than optimal game experience here. It's also not that great as an RF video device - my 2600 gives me a better picture. I use a 4:3 CRT with RGB SCART for retro gaming but I still use RF for my 2600 and 7800. :)

So I'd be interested to know exactly what all this entails. I really like the look of it. I have a PAL 7800, a US 4 switch 2600 with composite mod and a PAL 6 switch + a Harmony. I've also bought a few homebrews such as Pacman Collection and Medieval Mayhem from the atariage site.

I was quite active for a while there creating PAL60 ROMs for 2600 games on the atariage website as well. Have given some feedback on projects that were asking people to run demo programs and give feedback on overscan etc.

So I am somewhat invested in old Atari tech - but I'd be in for this alone if it gave me a way of playing 7800/2600 games using composite with high score support for 7800 games. The real bonus is the homebrew scene. Really like the look of some of the homebrew games - stuff like the Circus remake look great for example.

Given what I have I can jump a few different ways. Is my best way forward to get an NTSC 7800 (modded for composite) and XM or is it an all-in-1 unit?

davyk

Heh - just read the OP!!!

So it's a module that you plug into the cartridge port. Very clever.

Will it work with a PAL system?

TrekMD

Yep, it's a module that you attach to the console.  It essentially adds what could be added to every cart but in the one module.  Makes it easier to develop games that use those features without having to spend the money on each and every cart.  I believe it will work with all 7800 versions based on what Curt has been saying  If you can, listen to the podcast.  He explains a lot there.

davyk

TrekMD

A short update was posted today by Curt...

I've already shipped out to quite a few 7800 developers.  Only thing I'm waiting for is the beta of the Consumer BIOS so it can be fully testing out on the final boards (the last version now has the Motor line on the SIO connected, just a very minor change.  All hardware work is done.   I also need the final Consumer BIOS so the manual can be written.   This is a rather extensive piece of software, as well as a rather impressive one as well.   It will actually redefine several of the console buttons during power up to allow certain functions and settings to be done as the console boots.   I already have an early version of the Consumer BIOS and it blew my mind when I tried it out, but many area's were not yet completed.   Any of the 7800 coders... well, a coder on any of these consoles will tell you, the software side takes time.   There are 3 people working on the BIOS and the Dev's have all seen a sneak peak of an early version of it as well as Albert.   I'm just putting together boards and readying them on my end.