Matthew Smith and Elite join forces for new game

Started by zapiy, April 12, 2013, 00:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... MmwkXgY-xQ

Matthew Smith, developer of the legendary games 'Manic Miner' and 'Jet Set Willy' and Elite, one time Golden Joysticks' 'Software House of the Year', have announced that they are to co-operate in the development and publication of a new game. 'Jet Set Willy', Smith's last game for former publisher Software Projects, was first published almost 30 years.

'Manic Miner' and 'Jet Set Willy' are the first two games in Matthew Smith's 'Miner Willy' trilogy, which was first announced in 1983. Matthew Smith is also the developer behind 1980s mega-game, 'MegaTree'.

Elite is arguably the UK's oldest continually-operating, developer and publisher of computer and video game software, having being co-founded in England in 1984 by Steve and Richard Wilcox and their father, Brian.

Read our Elite Systems Interview http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/http:/ ... ic.php?t=2

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

108 Stars

Phew, Matt Smith... the man who was missing for many years and searched by the internet.^^

Well, not to sound mean, but whenever I see him talking I find him kind of weird. Fitting the games he made which were crazy for their time.

To be honest I am not so sure if he has anything to offer gamers nowadays; he made two famous games, Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy, with a bunch of others remaining vaporware because... well, because he has the attention span of a lemur and never saw any of them through. He must have given his publisher quite a headache back in the day.

So I'm very sceptical of him completing any project he starts, and then after 30 years of nothing I have to wonder if even if he does the resulting game would be something people want to play.

We'll see. Or not.^^
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

zapiy

Yeah I guess the proof will be in the pudding so to speak.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Greyfox

poor guy hasn't a tooth in his head...I wasn't a speccy owner, so this means naf all to me..but hope it will be something interesting nearly every gaming angle has been covered..what can he bring to the table?

108 Stars

Quote from: "Greyfox"poor guy hasn't a tooth in his head...

Well, I did see one at least. Will take him a while to gnaw on a steak, but I'm sure he takes good care of his remaining tooth.^^
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

onthinice

Maybe if enough folks support this project, he can afford a proper blender and have steak smoothies or even steak n shakes...