Britsoft: An Oral History Now Available For Pre-Order

Started by zapiy, June 09, 2015, 17:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

[align=center:324dc6pr][/align:324dc6pr]

Composed of interviews with thirty-five people who shaped the modern videogame, including  David Braben ( Elite),  Peter Molyneux ( Populous), Rob Hubbard ( Commando) and  Jeff Minter ( Attack of the Mutant Camels),  Britsoft: An Oral History documents the start of a new form of entertainment – created in bedrooms and living rooms on ZX Spectrums, Commodore 64s, Amigas and Atari STs.

The book is a companion piece to the 2014 documentary,  From Bedrooms to Billions, and uses exclusive cuts from the hundreds of hours of interview footage to carve its original story. Through the voices of programmers, musicians, journalists and business people, it traces the making of games such as  Dizzy,  Elite,  Paradroid and  Kick Off; and birth of publishers, magazines and software houses, from Codemasters to  Zzap!64.

Britsoft: An Oral History is edited by Alex Wiltshire, former editor of 'videogame Bible'  Edge magazine, and its striking page layouts are designed by London-based studio Julia. It includes rarely-seen archive images, such as candid period photographs and magazine ads, which perfectly set the Britsoft scene.

If you're a fan of the superb British game industry documentary "From Bedrooms to Billions" then the book will serve as a great companion piece. You can pre-order a copy of the book at Read Only Memory for £25, with an expected release date of August 27th.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Greyfox

I believe this is a companion book and cover cutting room floor interviews that didn't make it into the film etc. plus a few new ones presented in the Read Only Memory style of book layout. It's not really something for me, but it's a great addition to the history of computers in the United Kingdom none the less

zapiy

I will be getting it. It's a little bit awesome and I like awesome.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

zapiy

Saturn

zapiy

Greyfox

looks fantastic, I love the schematics approach on the way they reveal the imagery. Personally it's something I wouldn't do, but see how it work with the format of their book. great stuff.