Most Over Rated & Under Rated Console?

Started by TL, June 26, 2014, 19:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cryptic33

Quote from: "zapiy"Some great replies above, @Cryptic33 that's a very well thought out reply, I don't get on the Jag as much as I probably should, your right though, it's about what you feel when playing a system more than about the real facts behind the so called specs, that hardly matters if you enjoy the games.
Thanks zapiy, I was trying to convey that gaming is complex and highly subjective which, is why so many people have an opinion and are very passionate about their own machines. Gaming unites people and as long as respects and common sense prevail, we'll all live long and happy gaming lives :)
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

onthinice

There are a lot of great responses. Over the years my tastes have changed so much. It is hard to say which is over rated and which are under rated.

I enjoy playing most of the consoles mentioned and can at least find a few good games for each. Sometimes age has washed away the old feelings. Making games that were fun 30 years ago lose some of the allure, yet others are still easy to pick up and play.

So I guess after rambling, my point is game console libraries tend to be more over or under rated.

Cryptic33

Quote from: "onthinice"I enjoy playing most of the consoles mentioned and can at least find a few good games for each. Sometimes age has washed away the old feelings. Making games that were fun 30 years ago lose some of the allure, yet others are still easy to pick up and play.

So I guess after rambling, my point is game console libraries tend to be more over or under rated.
I think I get the point you are making though I am surprised you think games of 30-ish years old lose their appeal. I can tell you that my Jag never fails to impress me but, going back further I have played a number of games on my 8-bit computer which are still brilliant. It is all very subjective of course and I guess you lose interest in an older game then, only a few years later, find it rekindles your interest.

It's all just good clean fun and you don't get much of that these days ;)
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

Ben

I'd like to say one thing in response to the Jag talk.  That console was mightily impressive in its day, and a had a lot of hype surrounding its launch.  It replaced the Neo Geo as that elusive, expensive console you had to have for a little while.  The port of Doom and Alien vs. Predator were very impressive in their day, and showed off what the hardware might be buildling towards - and then that was pretty much it.  I think the love for the Jag (at least for me, in the U.S.) comes out of the fact that it did have a few gems in its early life that left you wondering what it might have been capable of.  There is a nostalgia factor, too, but it's easy to forget that for a moment in time the Jaguar wasn't an also ran, but something you wished you could have.

Cryptic33

Quote from: "Ben"I'd like to say one thing in response to the Jag talk.  That console was mightily impressive in its day, and a had a lot of hype surrounding its launch.  It replaced the Neo Geo as that elusive, expensive console you had to have for a little while.  The port of Doom and Alien vs. Predator were very impressive in their day, and showed off what the hardware might be buildling towards - and then that was pretty much it.  I think the love for the Jag (at least for me, in the U.S.) comes out of the fact that it did have a few gems in its early life that left you wondering what it might have been capable of.  There is a nostalgia factor, too, but it's easy to forget that for a moment in time the Jaguar wasn't an also ran, but something you wished you could have.
Very well put Ben :113:

SnakeEyes

Quote from: "Ben"I'd like to say one thing in response to the Jag talk.  That console was mightily impressive in its day, and a had a lot of hype surrounding its launch. It replaced the Neo Geo as that elusive, expensive console you had to have for a little while.  The port of Doom and Alien vs. Predator were very impressive in their day, and showed off what the hardware might be buildling towards - and then that was pretty much it.  I think the love for the Jag (at least for me, in the U.S.) comes out of the fact that it did have a few gems in its early life that left you wondering what it might have been capable of.  There is a nostalgia factor, too, but it's easy to forget that for a moment in time the Jaguar wasn't an also ran, but something you wished you could have.

Yeah, sorry, never happened.

WiggyDiggyPoo

quote author=SnakeEyes link=topic=4259.msg76054#msg76054 date=1425213651]

[/quote]

Lol agree 100%

Neo Geo was a mythical device that until the internet I'd knew virtually nothing about, whereas I could buy a Jaguar new for £50 from Game.

Jag was a nice console, but tops the list for both under and over rated depending on who's judging[emoji6]

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Ben

Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"quote author=SnakeEyes link=topic=4259.msg76054#msg76054 date=1425213651]

QuoteLol agree 100%

Neo Geo was a mythical device that until the internet I'd knew virtually nothing about, whereas I could buy a Jaguar new for £50 from Game.

Jag was a nice console, but tops the list for both under and over rated depending on who's judging[emoji6]
See, I have to disagree a little bit.  We knew the Neo Geo very well in the U.S., it was always advertised in our gaming magazines (in the back, SNK stuff wasn't getting prime ad space), up to the end of the Neo Geo CD era (I could post scans if anyone is interested).  I think maybe it was different in the U.K., but it wasn't a super obscure thing here, just not many people could have one.  But, here's my other point on that:  It was 2D only, 2D was over by 1994 (I'm a 2D first guy, but it just was).  AVP running on the Jag was pretty big news among my friends at least, I can only speak from my own experience.

EDIT:  Again, I'm NOT saying the Jag is better - because it isn't.  But the Neo Geo CD was not on anyone's wish list after the mid-90's, no one cared about 2D anymore in the U.S. anyway.  There were huge markdowns on those consoles as well, it's just that their value (and appreciation for them) has gone back the other way.

Lorfarius

Been 6 years since I owned one but I don't think I was impressed when I first started playing the Jag:

http://youtu.be/DdwfEIsXGns
http://youtu.be/sxN6PSBCKrE

All I know is by the end of my dabbling I hated it!

http://youtu.be/Z2_LMOXiXec

Ben

I think people are missing my point about the Jag a bit, here.  You can't talk about the nostalgia factor of the Jag as it was in 1994 when AVP hit in light of playing it later - because it had an insanely short period of time where it was a big deal.  Looking back now as a "retro" gamer, it's easy to gloss over what the 90's were really like once the 3D craze hit, and for a really brief moment, the Jag had a couple of killer FPS games that were well hyped.  I'm not talking about the quality of the library, or where it was even a year later, but there's a reason AVP was a system seller at that time.  You kind of had to be there, as they say.  Anyone who says AVP wasn't impressive in 1994 is kidding themselves.

WiggyDiggyPoo

Quote from: "Ben"I think people are missing my point about the Jag a bit, here.  You can't talk about the nostalgia factor of the Jag as it was in 1994 when AVP hit in light of playing it later - because it had an insanely short period of time where it was a big deal.  Looking back now as a "retro" gamer, it's easy to gloss over what the 90's were really like once the 3D craze hit, and for a really brief moment, the Jag had a couple of killer FPS games that were well hyped.  I'm not talking about the quality of the library, or where it was even a year later, but there's a reason AVP was a system seller at that time.  You kind of had to be there, as they say.  Anyone who says AVP wasn't impressive in 1994 is kidding themselves.

AVP in 1994 wasnt impressive to me, definately not kidding myself. I didnt pay attention to the adverts or buy into any hype as I judged (as I do now) machines/games for myself. I played one in Rumbelows (remember them?!) and a friend had one (think later he also got the CD add on) and the bottom line was it was nothing particularly special for me then and still isnt now.

Not a bad console per se, just over rated.

SnakeEyes

Sorry, but I was around at the launch of the jag and its rep was harmed from the start, the launch titles were rubbish.

Sure AVP was a diamond in the rough but it never made anyone wnat a jag as the rest of the games were being panned. Not ever, and I mean ever was the jag considered that elusive must have console here in the UK. It was dead on arrival.

zapiy

Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"
Quote from: "Ben"I think people are missing my point about the Jag a bit, here.  You can't talk about the nostalgia factor of the Jag as it was in 1994 when AVP hit in light of playing it later - because it had an insanely short period of time where it was a big deal.  Looking back now as a "retro" gamer, it's easy to gloss over what the 90's were really like once the 3D craze hit, and for a really brief moment, the Jag had a couple of killer FPS games that were well hyped.  I'm not talking about the quality of the library, or where it was even a year later, but there's a reason AVP was a system seller at that time.  You kind of had to be there, as they say.  Anyone who says AVP wasn't impressive in 1994 is kidding themselves.

AVP in 1994 wasnt impressive to me, definately not kidding myself. I didnt pay attention to the adverts or buy into any hype as I judged (as I do now) machines/games for myself. I played one in Rumbelows (remember them?!) and a friend had one (think later he also got the CD add on) and the bottom line was it was nothing particularly special for me then and still isnt now.

Not a bad console per se, just over rated.

I have to agree with Ben, AVP was the game that sold me to the Jag, looking back now its easy to think why lol.. But you could say that about an awful lot of games.  AVP at the time was my HALO of then, me and my mates loved it..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC