Custom Dust Covers for Retro Consoles

Started by TrekMD, October 23, 2012, 14:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Can you PM me what you'd like to know?  I want to make sure I get the info you need.  Thanks!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

These covers are excellent in quality and both Barb and Jerry give great service.  You can buy these with confidence! 

TrekMD

Just a quick bump to the covers page.  I've updated the image for the ColecoVision Module 1 with a picture of the actual cover.  We just had a placeholder before:  http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index.php?page=customcovers

retromod

Looks great. What kind of material is used? Leather or plastic?
http://www.konsolen-mod.de for mod showroom and configurator

TrekMD

These are made of leather.  They really are superb covers.

retromod

Quote from: "TrekMD"These are made of leather.  They really are superb covers.

I currently thinking about delivering those with the droid edition but the price tag is far high and I'm not sure if customer will pay for it. But it looks nice and I will check if it is possible to buy "standard" leather covers for less adding the name by spray or special copy paper.

finally I found a very cheap solution based on plastic (like outdoor car protections). Cut the width and length including the height of the target object to each side out of plastic pad. Now use a heat cutter and cut each side together, remove trailings. Create the required device name (not logo as this is not allowed if you plan to spread them) out of thick paper (reverse). Use a plastic spray holding the template on top of the cover. That's it for nearly $2 you'll get a dust cover fitting perfectly your device. After some tries you will increase quality of the result...

sure it is not leather but add some professional attitude to any product. I wish I had a seewing machine and more listen to my grandma how to use it ;-)

Why not using a logo? Because it is quite dangerous using trademark logo's on top of products you newly created, you must register on trademark holder to get a permission to add it to any of your products. that's why I do not add a star wars sticker to my editions.... so asking laywers in such cases first to be on the safe side...

ls650

A couple of months ago I bought one of these for my Atari Jaguar (with the white logo).

It is very nice quality for a reasonable price.  I can highly recommend it.

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

guest4824

Just to clarify, about the covers.They are made from a material called"pleather".It is a combination of leather and vinyl.
The upside is its very easy to clean,and they are more flexible.Unlike some covers that appear to be made from a spare shopping bag,these covers do make your console look nice.
As to the comment about using logos,when we first started to offer these we checked with the various companies involved and basically were told that as long as we were not doing mass distribution or using the logo in some manor that was defacing,or inappropriate,there was no issue.
In fact my wife(Barb)spoke directly with Keith Robinson(Intellivision) and he gave her his blessing to do it,and in the course of the conversation he told her that it was an excellent idea!
Hope that answers some of the questions

TrekMD

Glad to have you back, Old JD!  Thanks for answering the questions.  :)

zapiy

Hey fella. Hope we are at least spreading the word for you.

retromod

Quote from: "Old JD"In fact my wife(Barb)spoke directly with Keith Robinson(Intellivision) and he gave her his blessing to do it,and in the course of the conversation he told her that it was an excellent idea!
Hope that answers some of the questions

If you have the permission than it is fine. From my experience companies do not like it to see their logo on products they have not created. And if you are told (better written) to do so if you do not enter mass production than it is fine and a fair act from the involved companies. Specially Nintendo is a little bit picky about that and even if single people tell you it is better for legal reason having a written down permission as sometimes lawyers of a company have another view. Remember the current "Atari" brand problems with some internet sites.

TL

Most system names are no longer trademarked/copyrighted, just the name of the company that made them.

This is why you see homebrews with Mega Drive but not Sega on them, or Jaguar but not Atari on them.

retromod

Quote from: "The Laird"Most system names are no longer trademarked/copyrighted, just the name of the company that made them.

This is why you see homebrews with Mega Drive but not Sega on them, or Jaguar but not Atari on them.

Thats great but as i remember the covers named nintendo or atari :)