The Atari Jaguar Thread

Started by zapiy, January 26, 2011, 00:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

I don't believe this has been posted.  With 36 pages in the thread, it's hard to read through them all to check.  In any case, it is a video review of the Jaguar done by Metal Jesus.

[align=center:3bg52mmq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH2oyAaocX0[/align:3bg52mmq]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

I dont remember seeing that one before fella.. Thanks its a decent video to boot. 8)

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Yes, he did a nice review of the system and it was honest and fair.  I was glad to see he also had a positive impression of the controllers.

rush6432

Quote from: "Kidgamer"I hope StormWorks Interactive are still working on Heretic :-

Still working on it when there is time.

TrekMD

Quote from: "rush6432"
Quote from: "Kidgamer"I hope StormWorks Interactive are still working on Heretic :113:

Cryptic33

Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "Kidgamer"I hope StormWorks Interactive are still working on Heretic :113:
:113:
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

Gorf

The Jaguar is pretty dead...nothing original...nothing but underpowered hacks from under talented coders. Very sad where the homebrew scene has gone...what very little of it is left.

zapiy

All the arguments and fall outs maybe?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Gorf

Quote from: "zapiy"All the arguments and fall outs maybe?

Those you have with any homebrew scene.....it was the fans over willingness to accept any garbage just for the sake of saying they have more games. Quality did not matter...only quantity did and it spelt their doom. We were prepared to give serious high quality...the fans decided to choose quantity over quality.....they got neither. When the fans of a system decide to support trouble makers who have no business telling the many more years experienced how to do things, you tend to see us such experienced developers move on. Why waste our time when the fans get stupid? The majority of Jag fans have shown to be pretty stupid. 3DSSS came up with many breakthroughs in getting more out of the system, yet, fans decided that DownFall and Flappy bird were good enough....seriously?

zapiy

I see what your saying but that echo's all walks of life...

New games are now suffering this effect.

Less is more and more is less...pretty simple i guess.

Cryptic33

A very sad situation and I am not a big fan of the homebrews for the reasons given but I continue to attempt to collect the official releases when I can. The exception to the hombrew scene however was the Resurgence CD that breathed a little more life in to the Protector game. Still, hope springs eternal.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

Arethius_RGC

You think ? I do not buy every homebrew games because : I usually know about too late... The quantity made are to small (50 units... Come on...)... And the quality is not there...
I am very disappointed by the lack of ambition of the coders...
But what disappoint me most are the ambitious coder who give up because of some foolish reasons...
They are poeple out there who are willing to help.... But they only focus on the critics...
I have critized Mad Bodies a lot...
1. The introduction in the booklet seemed to my childish
2. The action on the screen... I have to do every thing at once ??? Shoot enemies, bounce the moon, save humans, and make not puttîg them in the space stations or I loose them... Whaow that's way to much going on !!! And how do I use the power-ups???
Every timeI play the game I got frustrated... But I also respect the coder for its creativity, because Mad Bodies is a concept... Now its is lacking some polish, difficulty setting, a true tutorial, and a real packaging like old time with background in three languages and a true manual in Three languages...
I must confess feld a bit insulted by the packaging and "manual" of Mad Bodies... When my game-room will br finished I'll try to make a customed one.

I think want to much to control every aspect of the game, they should focus on the coding, the graphics, the sound, the glitches, etc,... They should give the packaging, and selling to poeple who have experience with such as Songbird Productions ( but if you do ask for a three languages, box and manual) or us the Retro-gaming Connexion, or the Super Fighter Team, ...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

rush6432

Quote from: "Arethius_RGC"You think ? I do not buy every homebrew games because : I usually know about too late... The quantity made are to small (50 units... Come on...)... And the quality is not there...
But what disappoint me most are the ambitious coder who give up because of some foolish reasons...
They are poeple out there who are willing to help.... But they only focus on the critics...
2. The action on the screen... I have to do every thing at once ??? Shoot enemies, bounce the moon, save humans, and make not puttîg them in the space stations or I loose them... Whaow that's way to much going on !!! And how do I use the power-ups???
Every timeI play the game I got frustrated... But I also respect the coder for its creativity, because Mad Bodies is a concept... Now its is lacking some polish, difficulty setting, a true tutorial, and a real packaging like old time with background in three languages and a true manual in Three languages...
I must confess feld a bit insulted by the packaging and "manual" of Mad Bodies... When my game-room will br finished I'll try to make a customed one.

I think want to much to control every aspect of the game, they should focus on the coding, the graphics, the sound, the glitches, etc,... They should give the packaging, and selling to poeple who have experience with such as Songbird Productions ( but if you do ask for a three languages, box and manual) or us the Retro-gaming Connexion, or the Super Fighter Team, ...

Hey!

I figure since i have experience in exactly this i would chime in!

I have to say i agree with some of this but at the same time the developer isnt making the games normally to please the audience. If they are then they aren't making the game they want to make more than likely. I feel like this mindset comes from newer age gamers that bitch and complain until the developers make what the consumer wants them to make. It doesnt work that way entirely from what ive seen with homebrew though.  The fact that someone is making a game for an older console means they probably want to put one of their ideas out there as they thought it up. Its not a serious business like a real game development company as its mostly a 1-4 man show.

The packaging i can understand why some games are released the way they are. Its quite a bit of work and costly when it comes to sourcing parts. I know from experience that making boxes and making physical cartridge copies is not fun. its time consuming and a pain in the ass sometimes.

Outsourcing this to someone else cuts into your costs of what you would get for selling a copy of your own creation to pay yourself back for the work put into it and time spent on it. In addition to this, COSTS.... i mean the parts you have to buy to even make 100 cartridge copies with official parts is a fairly large chunk of cash and not cheap. Last i checked if you do just 100 cartridge shells its about $400 dollars from best electronics... then you add cartridge PCBs, make the box, program the chips, dont for get the chips themselves, it all adds up fast. Not to mention all the labor and time involved in putting it all together and then making sure it gets to the consumer in one piece untouched.

If the publisher takes enough out and depending on what you want to sell your game for you can be left with almost nothing for your time. I dont know about you but i dont know anyone that just wastes there time for free or works for free. Now im not saying they will cut into all of your profit but lets be real, homebrew doesn't make much money. its not a job and never will be unless you're on higher end platforms with a larger team and even the, thats pushing the limits of being homebrew at that point...

I know i value my own time and don't have a bunch of it and i don't work for free. If others want to whore themselves out for free and release games, go ahead. Everyone has to pay bills and put food on the table and i don't expect anyone to make a living do this at all. I enjoy doing it and if i can make a few bucks here and there on what i enjoy spending some of my free time on, then ill continue to do it because it benefits me and people that want to play newer software/games for the system.

Anyway just my input/take on the subject.

Cryptic33

Well, that is of course a good argument for homebrews and just to clarify my own comment. I personally appreciate the immense effort it takes to get a game out there and I also appreciate the attempts to create something new. My only gripe with the homebrew titles generally, is that they don't really grab me. An exception is Fallen Angels which is available as a free download. This is a title which I really liked on my 8-bit machine and therefore am very interested in for the Jag. Alas, I am waiting to see if someone can manufacture a cost effective CD unit for the Jag. I doubt that will happen of course. Meantime, we should all give credit for the efforts of those making new titles (I don't like the term "homebrew") and when I can get Richard Branson to back my own ideas for this great system, maybe then we can help those of you still programming. :113:

zapiy

Quote from: "Arethius_RGC"You think ? I do not buy every homebrew games because : I usually know about too late... The quantity made are to small (50 units... Come on...)... And the quality is not there...

Hey!

I figure since i have experience in exactly this i would chime in!

I have to say i agree with some of this but at the same time the developer isnt making the games normally to please the audience. If they are then they aren't making the game they want to make more than likely. I feel like this mindset comes from newer age gamers that bitch and complain until the developers make what the consumer wants them to make. It doesnt work that way entirely from what ive seen with homebrew though.  The fact that someone is making a game for an older console means they probably want to put one of their ideas out there as they thought it up. Its not a serious business like a real game development company as its mostly a 1-4 man show.

The packaging i can understand why some games are released the way they are. Its quite a bit of work and costly when it comes to sourcing parts. I know from experience that making boxes and making physical cartridge copies is not fun. its time consuming and a pain in the ass sometimes.

Outsourcing this to someone else cuts into your costs of what you would get for selling a copy of your own creation to pay yourself back for the work put into it and time spent on it. In addition to this, COSTS.... i mean the parts you have to buy to even make 100 cartridge copies with official parts is a fairly large chunk of cash and not cheap. Last i checked if you do just 100 cartridge shells its about $400 dollars from best electronics... then you add cartridge PCBs, make the box, program the chips, dont for get the chips themselves, it all adds up fast. Not to mention all the labor and time involved in putting it all together and then making sure it gets to the consumer in one piece untouched.

If the publisher takes enough out and depending on what you want to sell your game for you can be left with almost nothing for your time. I dont know about you but i dont know anyone that just wastes there time for free or works for free. Now im not saying they will cut into all of your profit but lets be real, homebrew doesn't make much money. its not a job and never will be unless you're on higher end platforms with a larger team and even the, thats pushing the limits of being homebrew at that point...

I know i value my own time and don't have a bunch of it and i don't work for free. If others want to whore themselves out for free and release games, go ahead. Everyone has to pay bills and put food on the table and i don't expect anyone to make a living do this at all. I enjoy doing it and if i can make a few bucks here and there on what i enjoy spending some of my free time on, then ill continue to do it because it benefits me and people that want to play newer software/games for the system.

Anyway just my input/take on the subject.

Great input fella and good to see you posting again..