Underappreciated Sega Saturn Games

Started by zapiy, August 31, 2015, 17:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

I have to agree, the name is a proper mistake for such a great game..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Ryuhi

I had the chance to play Final fight revenge on a retron 5. Half decent game. Shame it did not get out of Japan though. it came out late in the saturns life so maybe if it was on a different console it would have done better.

TrekMD

Yeah, there are many games that were never exported from Japan that are quite good. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Quote from: Ryuhi on May 18, 2018, 23:46:02 PM
I had the chance to play Final fight revenge on a retron 5. Half decent game. Shame it did not get out of Japan though. it came out late in the saturns life so maybe if it was on a different console it would have done better.

Hold up, Sega Saturn games on a Retron 5? How does that work?

Ryuhi

Sorry got a bit mixed up there. His Windows computer and retron are connected to the same TV. He just used an emulator on his windows. Sorry feel like a bit of an eejit now :/

Shadowrunner

Lol Don't worry about it. I was thinking maybe the Retron 5 did more than I thought it did!

davyk

Bumpity Bump.

Saturn got a truly excellent port of Athlete Kings (aka Decathlete in JP)

It's a button basher in the tradition of Konami's Track & Field but it's got 10 events with a Decathlon mode and arcade mode (it was a Sega arcade release too). It got a follow up on Dreamcast and PS2 but the Saturn version is the best. Superb in 2 player mode. There's a sequel called Winter Heat which supports up to 4 players.

Here's me doing a playthrough of Decathlon mode.  The character I pick is a tribute to Daley Thompson; double Olympic champion.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNc3ANytipA

davyk

And here's a video of me playing the JP version with the JP-exclusive hidden character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAQVwXzjko4

Shadowrunner

I got the Japanese version a little while ago but I haven't tried it yet. Looks like I should. :)

zapiy

Great shout, I remember playing this a lot when I first picked it up.

Not sure the 3D graphics have stood the test of time though??

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

yuichka

Princess Crown of course. It's one of the best hidden gem that I've seen on saturn. I fell in love this game by first impression. It's such beauty, interesting, cute and superior stylish that I tried to play it in JAP used a video guide... Well, it wasn't last so long just hopelessness.
I would pay full price for Eng remaster for PS4/PS3. Unfortunately PSP ver. didn't translated too, fans are still working on it and all the hopes on ones. Happiness that we have "spiritual heirs" of Princess Crown like Dragon's Crown or Odin Sphere. Nowadays this kind of games almost aren't produce. So glory for the Atlus!

Ryuhi

I think x-men: children of the atom gets under appreciated due to the greatness of the vs series by put I think it is a great games.