Japanese PS2

Started by davyk, February 20, 2020, 10:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Ah, OK, thanks for the clarification.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

davyk

Latest Japanese PS2 acquisition is Shin Contra aka Contra : Shattered Soldier in other regions. It's far more affordable than the Western versions.

What a rip roaring game this is - pure old fashioned side on run and gun with plenty of PS2 fireworks. Brilliant game - there should be more of this sort of thing. Contra really is one of the great games series.

There's Neo Contra for PS2 as well but that's not as good - it's more of a top down view a bit like Cannon Spike. It's a good enough game just not really a proper Contra game.

davyk

Latest addition to the JP-PS2 library. Kurushi was a real sleeper hit on PS1. It also had a slight update called Kurushi Final.  In the US and JP it was called I.Q : Intelligent Qube.

PS2 got an update. It adds some background distraction that to be honest isn't necessary and I might prefer the PS1 soundtrack but this is a more affordable way to play this as the original can be hard to find.

TrekMD

So, what does this do? 

davyk

It's essentially a straight remake of the PS1's rolling cube puzzle game. The graphics are more polished but I prefer the orchestral soundtrack of the original though this soundtrack is still pretty good.

The stark black background of the original now has some effects and graphical fireworks going off that don't really help the game. The animation on your character is smoother etc. It's still an excellent game but the original didn't really need much in the way of tinkering.

TrekMD

Cool.  I'll look it up.

davyk

And other..... Nice version this. Has the original Saturn mode and you unlock remastered Christmas Nights when you finish the game. Very similar to the Steam/PC version but couldn't resist this.

TrekMD

Is that only for the Japanese PS2?

davyk

davyk

I'm a real pushover when it comes to Tetris games. I'll never be able to resist picking yet another one up. So when I saw this for the JP PS2 I couldn't help myself. Turns out it's a cracker - one of the best versions I've played. It's a port of a Naomi board arcade game by Success - so it's a pity the Dreamcast didn't get this because it's far better than the 3 Tetris games it got.

It was a budget release in Japan but it's full featured and isn't just a straight port. There are home modes and arcade modes with a good selection of 1P variations and it also has versus and co-op modes for up to 4 players. Nice pixel art style and soundtrack too. The controls are excellent - really slick.

TrekMD

That is cool!  Great find, then!

davyk

Picked up Capcom Classic Collection for my JP-PS2. I used to have the PAL version of this but it's 50Hz only so thought it better to get this version. Nice compilation.  I have Vol.2 in PAL as it plays at 60Hz.  I think I prefer the 1st volume - those older games have a stronger hook for me. Damn tough though. :)