New Atari 8-Bit Homebrew - Venture

Started by TrekMD, November 12, 2013, 17:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

[align=center:2wtgf3wf][/align:2wtgf3wf]

[align=center:2wtgf3wf][size=140]The arcade game Venture has been ported to the Atari 8-Bit home computers and released through Video 61. Screenshots and more information on the game can be can be found HERE

Press Release: The long wait is over, what Colecovision owners and Atari 2600 owners have always had, and what Atari 8-bit owners have always wanted, Venture, it's now available for the Atari 8bits, 48k required. It costs $49.95 on cartridge and the full ordering details are HERE.

Here is a video of the game in action:[/size][/align:2wtgf3wf]

[align=center:2wtgf3wf]Venture for the Atari 8-Bit[/align:2wtgf3wf]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

I remember hearing about this ages ago and thought it had been forgotten about until I saw somebody saying it was close to release the other day. I loved the 2600 version and would be tempted by this, especially considering it was programmed by the same team as Tempest Xtreem, but that price is just unreal! Video 61 have always been expensive but $50 for a game that simple is a bit much I think.

onthinice

Fun game! I like the Colecovision and Intellivison versions. Nice part about an 8bit Atari Computer port is using the 2600 joystick. My Atari 400 is one of the first, so it probably does not have enough memory. Time to buy an Atari XE.

sloan

Quote from: "The Laird"$50 for a game that simple is a bit much I think.

100% agreed. This is the biggest complaint I have against the homebrew scene these days. Price. I realize they may have had to tear down and rebuild many donar carts, or pay for newly molded shells and PCB's, but how is it that the AA store sells cart only games for $30 and even less?

Then I see new releases for INTV and CV going for $60 and wince.

TL

So, not only does this cost $50 but you don't even get a proper box:

Just this crappy plastic shell complete with a low quality inkjet printed sticker on it. Not to mention the equally terrible cart label that is also stuck on the wrong way round!  :40:

Elektronite

You may wince Sloan, at new Intellivision carts going for $60, but they cost a lot of coin to produce.

I don't think that a simple game deserves the full 'complete in box' treatment, but the titles that do get it need to be priced around that point to make them viable.

If you factor in inflation, cartridges for the Intellivision and Colecovision are not overpriced. They actually are cheaper than the 40 dollars Cnd I was paying for new Intellivision games back in 1981.

As far as Elektronite games go, we do full colour manuals, and use all new parts. No inkjet printing with our stuff.

zapiy

It looks great and like many people I know that would love to get more homebrew games and I know a lot are very professional. I simply do t have the spare money to justify buying all that's released do the the overall cost, however I accept there is a lot of time and effort gone into getting them released and therefore they probably deserve the cost.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Looks like there are plans to release this game also for the 5200 now.  Not entirely surprised since they can do the conversion.  I wonder it it will cost the same and if it will packaged similarly.

sloan

There was a guy over at AA that promised this for 5200 about a year ago. He was subsequently kicked off the site after being accused of piracy and stealing of other programmers' works. It turns out that a guy who did many XE conversions generously gave preview ROM's to this guy and he took them and ran, claiming them for his own works. The original programmer was embarrassed by this happening to him and barely said a peep about it. AA took matters into its own hands and banned him. Forgive me if I am off on a detail or two, but this is the account I got by basically prying it out of some of the 5200 Venture "programmer's" accusers over there.

TrekMD

I think I know who you are talking about but I think this is a new version of Venture that was recently released for the Atari 8-bit computers and will be converted for the 5200.

TrekMD

Here is a video of the 5200 version in action...

[align=center:4u9p4asd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_oc048m_MQ#t=0[/align:4u9p4asd]

TL

That video is a lot better than the other one, would like this game but not at that price.

TrekMD

We don't know the price for the 5200 release yet.  I'm hoping it's not as high.