Let's Compare Operation Wolf

Started by TrekMD, June 29, 2014, 19:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Operation Wolf is a shooter video game made by Taito.  The arcade game was controlled with a fixed swivel mounted light gun controller attached to the cabinet. The player must shoot a varying number of  soldiers, tanks, jeeps, choppers, and boats each level in order to advance in the game.  The player has limited ammo which must be replenished.  Operation Wolf was ported to various systems and it even spawned sequels. Let's see how the various versions compare...

[align=center:1w2btnga]Let's Compare ( Operation Wolf )[/align:1w2btnga]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Greyfox

One of most favourite arcade shooters, was the wonderful Uzi gripped machine gun giving that realistic notion of shooting the bad guys and was as tuff as nail, well in our arcade anyways, so when I discovered Ocean Software had secured the licence and rights to port this classic shooter to both Atari ST and the Amiga computers, I was just ecstatic to read this, if my memory services me right I read about it in A.C.E. magazine.

So for me it has to be both of those versions that are very accurate other then some scrolling issues (even on the amiga version) and screen slowdown which hampered the port some what, but boy it was like playing the arcade original on your computer and perfectly suited to the mouse controls in lieu of the Uzi machine which would of been ace. So the Amiga and ST are on par as one for the closest to the arcade original other than the FM Towns port which I never played, but look exceptionally close to the arcade versions.

What memories do any of you have for this classic?

TrekMD

I'm surprised this was not ported to 16-bit consoles like the SNES and the Genesis/MD.  The ports would have been better than the NES and SMS versions.

TL

Ocean's home computer conversions of this game were great, I loved playing the Spectrum version with the Magnum Light Phaser!

Then my friend got the Master System version and I just couldn't believe how close it was!

It's a great shame that Taito never made a Mega Drive version of the game and an even bigger shame they never did a pack for the Saturn with both this and Operation Thunderbolt on it, like they did with the 2 Chase HQ games  :20:

TrekMD

This would have been great on the Genesis/MD!  I wonder why it was never ported.