The World's Largest Video Game Collection

Started by TrekMD, December 28, 2013, 16:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onthinice

Quote from: "zapiy"Surely thats a negative on the site.. Ebay would not allow that to happen as it could destroy there reputation.

Good point.

zapiy

Having said that its probably not easy to vette someone without it costing the site money.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

onthinice

Very true. But your point was spot on, zapiy. If the seller and buyer can not trust the site to host an honest auction then they both deserve the outcome.

I do not ever recall auctions of this size for video games. So it is a new precedent. Good business sense would have suggested the site go to extremes to make the sale. Seems the site lost a lot of money by the sale not going as planned.

TrekMD

They did work on vetting folks to avoid this but it obviously didn't work.  They did take out 12 people who they were able to determine were phonies.  Somehow, the process failed them with the high bidders.  Really unfortunate and I know there is some legal stuff going on.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

TrekMD, you might know. Do they have their banks write a letter saying Mr. T (insert name) has x amount of dollars. So take his bid.

I hear when you buy games, Donald Trump vouches for you. :78:

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"TrekMD, you might know. Do they have their banks write a letter saying Mr. T (insert name) has x amount of dollars. So take his bid.

I hear when you buy games, Donald Trump vouches for you. :78:

Good question. I do not know how the vetting process was done.  I guess whatever the method, it was not foolproof. 

Shadowrunner

I wonder if he's considered taking this collection to an actual auction? Not sure how the fees would compare to online auction sites, but he could put a reserve on it and he wouldn't have to worry about phony bidders. For a collection this big and when you're talking about that much money I just don't think GameGavel or ebay is the right place to list it.

64bitRuss

It's really stupid to sell it as one big lot anyway. After all this time that has passed, he could have been busily selling the stuff off individually and making a lot more money, if indeed he actually needed the money like he said.

There's been alot said about the seller calling his character into question. I'm not decided one way or another, but if he needed the money so bad for a family emergency he should have been in the process of finding other ways to sell the games at this point.

Also regarding the content of the collection itself, I never thought I'd be so underwhelmed by 11,000 games. It's almost nothing but sports titles.

TrekMD

Well, I know he needs the money for family issues that are not emergent but chronic.  As to why he hasn't sold it in smaller pieces, I'm not sure.  He must have his reasons. 

TrekMD

Well, this is going on sale again.  The person who won the auction never paid and it took months to deal with the legal issues.  Details here:  Good Deal Games.

onthinice

Maybe 2015 will be a better year for selling!

TrekMD

Hopefully, someone with the money and honest interest will purchase it.