Underappreciated N64 Games.

Started by zapiy, August 31, 2015, 17:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Oh, feel free to bump any threads with topics of interest.  I'm not familiar with the Vigilante games.  I never had an N64.  Don't shoot me! :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Ryuhi

Haha well I sold mine on when I was young and stupid so that is probably worse. If you like the twisted metal series then this is definitely worth a look. The first game is relatively cheap for PlayStation if you have one and the second game in series strangely came out on dreamcast, ps1 and n64. Even more strangely it seems to be cheaper for dreamcast than other consoles. Don't think that happens too often.

TrekMD

Hmm, that's cool.  I do have a PS2 and a Dreamcast.  I'll check out at least one of the games.  :)

Shadowrunner

I played a lot of Vigilante 8 2nd Offense on the Dreamcast. Really fun game.

Ryuhi

Don't get the vigilante 8 available on Xbox arcade. I got the free demo today and it has way too many glitches. I'm currently looking at a auction of it for ps1 on eBay. From all accounts the best version is vigilante 8 2nd offense for dreamcast but I don't have a dreamcast so will get it on the ps1 I think.

davyk

N64 got quite a nice version of Loderunner. Unimaginatively it's called Loderunner 64. Whilst this game's roots are 2D the jump to 3D has been done very well. It doesn't really get in the way and it plays quite nicely - too many games were ruined by bolting on 3D - particularly puzzle games.

While this isn't any better than the 2D games, it works because it retains the original's feel. It starts off easy enough but it gets rock hard - which is a good thing. :)

Ryuhi

I remember playing a lode runner as a really young child. Honestly not sure what console. I think it might of even been a old windows PC I played it on.

davyk

Lode Runner has been around a long time - think it was originally an Apple II game.

Ryuhi

Haha it is like most games these days. You look up a game you think is a hidden gem and you find out it has 12 sequels, a remaster, a comic book series and a fail animated series.

davyk

They are all real pure 2D "ladders and levels" games - even on PS1 and Saturn. The N64 port introduced 3D and it was done quite well. There's another on the Gamecube with plays 2D but has a really nice looking isometric look. Don't own that one though.

davyk

Just received this under-rated gem in the post.

It's a rare thing - an actually good tetris variant. The Disney branding is offputting but filter that out and you see a really solid and challenging game underneath with a well thought out attack and counter attack system.

Another one for my JP-N64 and Tetris Collections. 2-in-1 !! :)  Splendid soundtrack too.

TrekMD

Looks cool.  Nothing off-putting about the Disney branding as far as I'm concerned. 

Ryuhi

Disney branding doesn't put me off really. There is lots of great Disney games out there. Most of my favourites are for the 16 bit error though. I love all there 2d platformers from that time.

TrekMD

There's a version of the game for the GBC as well but it looks different.  I don't think it has the competitive games and it doesn't look as characte-rich as the N64 version. It also seems to have a story mode.

davyk

This has a story mode but it's in Japanese and is no doubt nonsensical.

PS1 got a version of this too.

The soundtrack is excellent - the Ps1 version probably sounds even better.

Any licence branding tends to put me off anything. N64 also got the superb Pokemon Puzzle League which is an update of Tetris Attack on SNES which itself is a Mario-ised version of a JP-side puzzle game called Panel De Pon. The Pokemon branding is unfortunate as it's a hardcore puzzle game and the Disney branding on this and the Pokemon branding tend to convey the impression of a kids' game when nothing could be further from the truth.

The AI in Magical tetris is brutal.