The Super Nintendo thread.

Started by nakamura, January 05, 2013, 23:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vyothric

Quote from: "nakamura"What are you playing? What do you like?

Can we stick to this please.

dougtitchmarsh

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"
Quote from: "nakamura"How can something that millions of people love be overrated?

:P
Best picture reply ever
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

nakamura

I'm closing the internet.  ;D

Anyway, back on topic please.

dougtitchmarsh

My Snes is currently in a box awaiting use in the future. I want to get Donkey Kong Country for it though when it is set up again, I loved that game.
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "Vyothric"
Quote from: "nakamura"What are you playing? What do you like?

Can we stick to this please.

Yep, no problem. I posted about the games I enjoy playing and then couldn't resist having a little fun in response to the open goal naka' had presented!

Quote from: "dougtitchmarsh"Best picture reply ever

Cheers!

Quote from: "dougtitchmarsh"... Donkey Kong Country

Ah yes, I downloaded that one via Wii's VC too. I had the GB version back in the day and wanted to experience the original home console version too all these years later. Not bad at all and I do 'get' what I recall Shigsy's criticism of the game was too. As I recall it, he damned the game with faint praise in complimenting the technical achievement of the visuals while commenting on its limited gameplay.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Donkey Kong Country is certainly lacking in certain areas but it does handle superbly. It just lacks the clever design of the Mario games. I do love DKC1 but find the other games to be merely decent.

TL

Here is another SNES game I love, I only got to play it for the first time a few years ago and was really impressed by how close to the arcade it is. Capcom really made up for the crapness of the Final Fight port with this conversion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkhlZkGWRCA

dcultrapro

I'm actually really tempted to pick up a snes cheap to see Super Metroid. That is LITERALLY the only reason I would buy one. But I would be willing to put prejudices aside to see what its like. any other games that would be worth considering when you take into account that I hate pretty much ALL the nintendo staple franchises such as Mario and Zelda
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

Quote from: "dcultrapro"I'm actually really tempted to pick up a snes cheap to see Super Metroid. That is LITERALLY the only reason I would buy one. But I would be willing to put prejudices aside to see what its like. any other games that would be worth considering when you take into account that I hate pretty much ALL the nintendo staple franchises such as Mario and Zelda

I think you would like Magic Sword, which I already posted the video for, and also Captain Commando, which again I posted above, as I know you love The Punisher and this is a very similar beat 'em up by Capcom.

Of course the other game I think you would love is Super Castlevania IV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17KRnVIbjlU

nakamura

Quote from: "dcultrapro"I'm actually really tempted to pick up a snes cheap to see Super Metroid. That is LITERALLY the only reason I would buy one. But I would be willing to put prejudices aside to see what its like. any other games that would be worth considering when you take into account that I hate pretty much ALL the nintendo staple franchises such as Mario and Zelda

Prejudices against a console? Against games?

Well I never!

Why not pick up a SNES cheap and get stuck in to some of the best games of the era? I certainly would and it offers a brilliant balance alongside the Mega Drive. Both consoles contain classics of the era.

zapiy

SNES was a favourite of mine.. especially Mario Kart..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

AmigaJay

Most of my friends had Megadrives at home, though there was a couple with Snes' that brought them into school for SF2 and MK tournaments good times!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

dcultrapro

not so much a prejudice against the console, more a prejudice against Nintendo... but that's neither here nor there. Anyway I shall have a look at those recommended titles and see which ones take my fancy

cheers Laird :)
Ultrapro on xbox live

nakamura

Gradius 3? Nononononono! Terrible slowdown!