What Retro Games Have You Played Recently?

Started by zapiy, January 27, 2011, 17:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saturn

Quote from: pinkabyss74 on May 04, 2018, 11:46:39 AM
Might play a bit more Mario World and try to complete Forest of Illusion later when I get home from school.
Awesome! Good luck with that one. Took me a while to beat the game but was totally worth it 8)

Spacedeck

I have actually been mostly playing Pro Evolution Soccer 1-6 on the PS2, i.e. the golden era of the series. ^^ Not sure what you think of that, though. I was only a preschooler when the PS2 was around, since I was born in 2001.

Might play a bit more Mario World and try to complete Forest of Illusion later when I get home from school.

Are you playing on an actual PS2?  If so, how did you happen to buying one?  I'd love to play all games on physical systems but I just haven't the room to store anything  :-\.

I can't remember which football game it was, it could have been one of the This Is Football series.  I used to play that game a lot as it used to feature a mode where you used to play in a school playground and you used coat / jumpers for the goal posts.

TrekMD

If space is an issue, the PS2 Slim is perfect. The thing is tiny!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

pinkabyss74

I own a v14 slim SCPH-75003 which I bought off gumtree. Don't get a fat model, unless you know how replace the laser since they die quicker than v14 slim (my SCPH-39003 only plays DVD based PS2 games (80% of PS2 games, most early games in 2000-2002 were CD based), it is on its last legs basically so I gave it to my 6 yrs old sister). v12 slim SCPH-70003 are also a death trap, I own one with a dead laser.
James Dignam ~ pinkabyss74
YouTube

pinkabyss74

Quote from: Spacedeck on May 05, 2018, 09:14:44 AM
I have actually been mostly playing Pro Evolution Soccer 1-6 on the PS2, i.e. the golden era of the series. ^^ Not sure what you think of that, though. I was only a preschooler when the PS2 was around, since I was born in 2001.

Are you playing on an actual PS2?  If so, how did you happen to buying one?  I'd love to play all games on physical systems but I just haven't the room to store anything  :-\.

I can't remember which football game it was, it could have been one of the This Is Football series.  I used to play that game a lot as it used to feature a mode where you used to play in a school playground and you used coat / jumpers for the goal posts.
Double post but i bought TIF 2002 and it has that mode, so you're right
James Dignam ~ pinkabyss74
YouTube

deKay

A lot of things today.

First up, The Adventures of Batman & Robin (MD). It looks great and has some fantastic graphical effects (some clever 3D) and all looks suitably cartoony. However, it's so dull! Every level is far too long with the same few enemies over and over. It's also really difficult.

The worst thing is the bug I hit at the end (I think!) of the shooter section in Level 2. There's an airship with a radar dish, and you have to shoot the dish (there are three others before it in the level, so I assume you do the same here). Only it takes no damage. Shots just pass through it. The boss timer never counts down either. I'm not playing through for a third time in case it happens again - that level was so long and tedious.

After that, I played Ghostbusters (MD) for a bit but it's awful. Made it to the first boss but was having no fun so gave up.

Then, Pulseman (MD) which I'd never heard of somehow. I wrote a lot more about it here, but I enjoyed it a lot. The main character is a bit janky (animationwise) but some of the level backgrounds are incredible.

Perennial favourite Mega-lo-Mania (MD) next. This might be my most played Mega Drive game. Always a pleasure. Slightly disappointed nobody else put people in suspended animation so the final battle was an instant win, but then, that's normally the case anyway.

Next, Wonder Boy in Monster Land (MS). Totally forgot to get the bell, but managed to remember my way through the castle at the end anyway. Phew, eh?

And finally, SNK vs Capcom: The Match of the Millennium (NGPC). Played as Ken because that's The Right Thing To Do, and found it a lot easier than I had in the past. Dunno why - it was still on the default difficulty. I really hope that much delayed Switch game Pocket Fighter (or whatever it was called) finally comes out and is up to this standard.

TrekMD

deKay

Funny you should reply - I also played a bit of that TNG Mega Drive game, but when I realised I needed to make notes on paper in order to remember details I stopped :)

zapiy

Quote from: deKay on May 13, 2018, 21:02:10 PM
A lot of things today.

First up, The Adventures of Batman & Robin (MD). It looks great and has some fantastic graphical effects (some clever 3D) and all looks suitably cartoony. However, it's so dull! Every level is far too long with the same few enemies over and over. It's also really difficult.

The worst thing is the bug I hit at the end (I think!) of the shooter section in Level 2. There's an airship with a radar dish, and you have to shoot the dish (there are three others before it in the level, so I assume you do the same here). Only it takes no damage. Shots just pass through it. The boss timer never counts down either. I'm not playing through for a third time in case it happens again - that level was so long and tedious.

After that, I played Ghostbusters (MD) for a bit but it's awful. Made it to the first boss but was having no fun so gave up.

Then, Pulseman (MD) which I'd never heard of somehow. I wrote a lot more about it here, but I enjoyed it a lot. The main character is a bit janky (animationwise) but some of the level backgrounds are incredible.

Perennial favourite Mega-lo-Mania (MD) next. This might be my most played Mega Drive game. Always a pleasure. Slightly disappointed nobody else put people in suspended animation so the final battle was an instant win, but then, that's normally the case anyway.

Next, Wonder Boy in Monster Land (MS). Totally forgot to get the bell, but managed to remember my way through the castle at the end anyway. Phew, eh?

And finally, SNK vs Capcom: The Match of the Millennium (NGPC). Played as Ken because that's The Right Thing To Do, and found it a lot easier than I had in the past. Dunno why - it was still on the default difficulty. I really hope that much delayed Switch game Pocket Fighter (or whatever it was called) finally comes out and is up to this standard.

Pulseman is certainly one of the best looking games available on the console.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Saturn

Quote from: zapiy on May 14, 2018, 10:00:43 AM
Pulseman is certainly one of the best looking games available on the console.

Interesting game. I've never heard of it so found an English rom and hacked in some cheats.

ArcadeAction

A couple I've played recently:

1) Super Mario Bros 2 for Famicom Disk System

I had never actually really played this seriously before, only tried the game a few times on Super Mario All-Stars back in the 90s. It's fun to play it for the first time. It's familiar, but very different as well.

2) Akumajou Densetsu for Famicom (Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse)

It is fun to play this game for the Famicom with the different audio track. I had been used to playing the NES version. This has many changes compared to the NES and definitely worth playing.

3) Contra for Famicom - compared to the NES, this has a whole intro and cut scenes, and is just a lot of fun to play after being accustomed to the USA released version.

Shadowrunner

Spent a couple hours playing Road Rash on the 3DO this afternoon. I go back to this game more than any other and it's still my favourite racing game ever. :)

Dreamcast Gamer

I've recently become obsessed with OutRun.  I've been playing it on the Sega Genesis and I can't get enough of Magical Sound Shower.  I really want to play the game at an arcade sometime.

TrekMD

Can't say I blame you for your addiction to OutRun!  :)

Shadowrunner

OutRun is a lot of fun! For a really good version of it I recommend the Sega Classics Collection for the PS2.