The History of Tempest

Started by TrekMD, February 12, 2020, 00:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

PatmanQC brings us the history of the excellent arcade vector game, Tempest!  Enjoy!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

davyk

Love Tempest. I consider myself privileged to have played a lot of it in the arcade. That display and spinner controller make it quite unique.  Playing it emulated is a waste of time in my opinion. The XBL port is a faded shadow of the glory that is the original arcade game.

Tempest 2000 is a superb update but the controls let it down a tiny bit. The Saturn got a great port of that. The original Jaguar version supports a homebrew controller update that adds a paddle control and the excellent Tempest X3 on PS1 can work with the NegCon twistable control on Ps1 but it isn't quite the same.

T3K is supposed to be great but only people who own a Nuon DVD player got to try it. I own a Nuon and still have a mint controller sealed in the box - but the version of the Nuon I have has NO GAME PORTS!!!!!!! It could be modded as the connections are on the mother board but it would mean butchering the proprietory connector on the controller :(  Also don't have a copy of the game - maybe one day.

What I'd love to see is a compilation of original, T2K, X3 and T3K with a proper controller.
Will never see that of course.  :(

Space Giraffe is quite a different game and a standard pad is fine for that though.

EDIT: Had forgot about TXK and didn't know about about T4k!!! :)

TrekMD

Tempest 2000 can be played with a rotary controller.  There are several homebrew versions of those. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...