No PS Vita Sequel

Started by TrekMD, September 29, 2015, 01:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

[align=center:1uqngasa][/align:1uqngasa]

It appears that the PS Vita will be Sony's last foray into the world of handheld gaming or, at least, handheld gaming hardware.  Shuhei Yoshida has stated that the climate is not healthy for a Vita sequel at a recent developer meeting.  It appears that with advancing technology for smartphones and tablet devices, the market for a pure handheld gaming system is not what it used to be. 

So, what you think?  Has the smartdevice market had such an impact in handheld gaming?  With smartphones doing much more than in the past, looks like the days of the dedicated handheld gaming system may be coming to an end. 

[align=center:1uqngasa]http://youtu.be/THoOapIs8oA[/align:1uqngasa]

Source:  Endgadget

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Not too surprising really, but they can't blame it all on phones and tablets. Sure that's part of the problem, but the 3DS still manages to sell very well and I'm sure Nintendo plans on a successor for it.

The market for dedicated handhelds is definitely smaller, but Sony let the Vita die with their over priced memory cards and lack of support. Still one of the best ever made and lots of third party games but it could have been so much bigger.

vandro

Agreed. I really enjoy my vita,  and the psp before that. But was always just very expensive.

zapiy

I agree, Sony are partly to blame here. The memory card prices are ridiculous and a contributing factor to the Vita's current dilemma. I would say there is life in the handheld market. Whatever mobiles or tablets do they can never overcome the battery life issues like a dedicated can. So I guess the market is open for Nintendo.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

AmigaJay

I enjoyed mine for a while, it had one of the best launch line ups in history....then Sony forgot about it and concentrated on the PS4, dropped most 1st party support, yes it has lots of indie games but i didn't buy one just for those, sold mine last year as evident it was not gonna get any more AAA games that appealed to me.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Greyfox

this never made sense to me, possible one of the best ever invented hand held consoles ever made and more or less dropped into the bottom of the pond, delivering a console that could produce PS3 graphics and the connectivty to the ps4 sure made this the item of choice to have?

I know it did very well in Japan thanks to the rPG's and the wacky games it got over there, but bad market or dedication to pushing over here because Nintendo ruled the roost regarding hand held gaming, there is no doubt about it the indie devs games on this could of made this a great machine to have, but alias the stupid ridicious cost for memory cards under their brand was the real killer of this machine, considering memory cards of all types now been buttons to buy boggles the mind to why Sony thought it was a good idea to go the old school Nintendo cartridge monopoly route is beyond me.

And I think what will happen now is that, they is only become more expense due to them been discontinued, people that have them will run a muck on prices, on the games the memory cards and stuff. Has anybody here connected it to the ps4 and played their games natively on the PS Vita? As this really appeals to me, joining in on a Battlefront session while on the throne sounds deadly lol.

I have a friend that has a PS vita and with his compulsion to sell cheap and quickly when he needs the cash could be my opportunity to nab one of these at the right price. He has lots of goodies for it. Time will tell. But as regards to Sony's blunder in marketing this machine I didn't even have the urge to get it when it first arrived and I have all of Sony's products here, ps1,ps2,Psp's etc.. I think this was inevitable IMO.

TrekMD

I never seriously considered the Vita because I have a large PSP game collection and I can't use any of the games on the Vita unless I buy them again.  The system does look great and I've seen it hands on, so I know it is a nice handheld.  I considered it briefly but just gave up on the idea.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Greyfox"Has anybody here connected it to the ps4 and played their games natively on the PS Vita?

I tried it a couple times but didn't have very good results. It was so laggy that it was unplayable, and I was sitting in the same room as my PS4! Maybe I need to play around with the settings a bit more but looking around the net, for everyone who said it works great you get a bunch of people like myself saying it's terrible. A lot of it depends on how strong your wifi connection is, so it might work great for you or it might not. The other thing is that with two fewer shoulder buttons and non-clickable thumbsticks you have to use the back touch screen for some functions, which kinda sucks.

vandro

I often play rocket league on my ps vita. Seems fine regarding the lag. I agree however that it is missing the extra buttons so I feel you really have to pick your game well.