Moments Of Pure Amazement . . . .

Started by TL, October 09, 2012, 16:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

[align=center:oy8c1cn6]This was another arcade game that blew my mind at the time, Sega's holographic coin-op Time Traveller:

Time Traveler laserdisc arcade gameplay

Sega's "Hologram" TimeTraveler coin-op Press Coverage (circa 1991)[/align:oy8c1cn6]

Arethius_RGC

The first time I played REZ on my PS2 (just look how rare it is on Dreamcast) I was just amazed that's the word. itr is still one of my favorite game of all time.

guest5175

One thing you only get in the arcade withe StarBlade is the unique screenbending effect. They used mirrors to make the image appear larger than it was. It's the sort of things that only arcades do.

In general, arcades is where a lot of amazement has come from, which is why I got into the industry. Sadly these days developers don't pull off amazing as frequently like they used to. It's a hard act to maintain. But they are still making games so I can't complain; and there are exceptions ;) Such a cool widescreen effect and the sound system is like T-Mek in quality

[align=center:3i73f3x0]Dariusburst Another Chronicle Arcade in the USA (DBAC) - Levels ADH[/align:3i73f3x0]

Cryptic33

Wow, I see what you mean. That is an awesome arcade game. Never heard of Dariusburst but I'll look for it next time I'm in an arcade :16:
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

zapiy

Same as Cryptic, that looks bloody awesome. :113:

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

Quote from: "arcadehero"I didn't experience Shadow of the Beast on a computer platform but when I first saw that on the Lynx, I was blown away. The Lynx was constantly an amazing system, I wish I could have got one back when it mattered on the market, instead I had the Game Boy which had some great games but nothing truly amazed like the Lynx.

Without doubt! The Lynx was the first system I played it on too, only played the inferior MD/ST/Amiga version later.

[align=center:3k2r5e6b]Shadow of the Beast Atari Lynx version longplay part 1/3[/align:3k2r5e6b]

guest5158

This may be slightly off-topic but I got so damn frustrated on Headhunter (for Sega DC) that everytime in those VR test missions I would get caught by a guard and get really annoyed with that whole alarm sound and "Leila, Virtual Reality Testing" phrase going off in the background.

Well, I was so damn angry (trying not to swear here) that I just ran and ran and ran all the way behind the guards and finished the level in 18 seconds...I've got the screenshot to prove it  8)

This was just a moment of pure amazement and was left gobsmacked!

TL

I seriously can't believe that I haven't posted about this game yet! I can still remember the day I got Solaris on the Atari 2600 from a stall Luton indoor market that used to sell Atari stuff. From the moment I turned it on I was just blown away by not just how great it looked but also how complex the game was compared to many other 2600 titles. My dad walked into the room when I was playing it and said "What system is this on? This game looks amazing" when I told him it was on my 2600 he didn't believe me! I also showed it to my mate Alex who owned a Master System and he said it looked good enough to be a SMS game!

[align=center:6h1e29f0]Atari 2600 Solaris in STEREO![/align:6h1e29f0]

TrekMD

Amazing what the 2600 has been pushed to do.  That game is truly an amazing example of the console being taken beyond its limits.  Is the person who programmed this game alive? 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Amazing what the 2600 has been pushed to do.  That game is truly an amazing example of the console being taken beyond its limits.  Is the person who programmed this game alive?

Yes, Doug Neubauer - he also did Star Raiders and designed the POKEY chip too! Talk about a genius!

I tried to interview him for a Retro Gamer article I did but never managed to get him to talk  :12:

TrekMD

Ah, that's why I was asking.  It would be cool to chat with him about Solaris and some of his other work.

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Ah, that's why I was asking.  It would be cool to chat with him about Solaris and some of his other work.

A couple of his other late in life Atari 2600 games were very impressive also:

[align=center:1tpxwmmb]Super Football for the Atari 2600

Radar Lock for the Atari 2600[/align:1tpxwmmb]

TrekMD

Yes, both of those are truly impressive games as well.  In fact, Super Football is truly remarkable!

TL

The Atari 2600 versions of California Games, Winter Games and Summer Games really impressed me too, I bought all 3 back in the day. It's a shame Epyx didn't make more games for the Atari 2600 considering how impressive these games are.

[align=center:11knjad2]California Games for the Atari 2600

Winter Games for the Atari 2600

Summer Games for the Atari 2600[/align:11knjad2]

TrekMD

I know that the 32X does not have a good reputation but I must say that I was quite impressed when I played Blackthorne.  This is a really impressive game!

[align=center:1tnvkey5]Sega 32X - Blackthorne (1994)[/align:1tnvkey5]