RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine

Started by zapiy, October 19, 2013, 16:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

A second Kickstarter?  That's interesting.  I'd be interested in hearing more about it too and how it is going to work.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Greyfox

I understand that they've created a cool little magazine here with the production values, but when they did the first Kick-starter did they not account for cost and expenses to allow them to evolve for the second year? Is this down to incredible bad management of the funds and profits on the magazine? surely they could gauge the long term profits and expenses to take to produce the magazine for it's second year?

I think it's abuse of the privilege to even suggest a kick-starter for the second year, as I'm sure people will be thinking the same thing I am regarding were the money went to prevent the magazine from continuing without the need for a second kick-starter?. The only thing I can think of is the first Year wasn't as successful in sales hopes and marketing maybe?. The content was fine 95% of the time, so what happened to it resorting to a second kickstarter? they need to put together some sort of press statement to justify them asking people for more money for a product that should have done it's sale projections for the next 4-5 years before doing this.

I'm not flaming the idea here, I just don't understand, they must of made a profit, they had to off made something, and it that's not the case, then running a second kick-starter looks to me that this could become a regular thing with "Retro" the following year and the year after that. They'd also want to look into create a more interactive digital version of the magazine too, a standard PDF is really becoming a thing of the past and this goes for all of us, not just them. I wish them every success with the second kick-starter, but seem like jumping on the band wagon here to curb costs to themselves and the magazines finances.

zapiy

You make valid points that many people will be thinking, would be good if @ReadRetro or @Jokeontheworld could fill us in?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

guest5080

Quote from: "zapiy"You make valid points that many people will be thinking, would be good if @ReadRetro or @Jokeontheworld could fill us in?

Hey guys,

Just wanted to come in here and address.  Since we have continued to sell subscriptions all year long, it should be obvious we have already committed to year two regardless of the outcome of this next Kickstarter campaign.  We are using this campaign to fund improvements like adding more pages, adding more illustrators and artists, adding surprise magazine, custom art pull-out inserts, adding more favorite gaming writers and personalities, expanding our retail circulation through stores like Barnes and Noble and Hastings Entertainment, etc.

We wanted to give our original backers an opportunity to buy in at the same price as they paid in the original Kickstarter, even though our subscription rate will go up with these added improvements.  Other magazines, like Nintendo Force have also run second year Kickstarter campaigns so this is not something out of the ordinary.  Also, Kickstarter's have kind of become a marketing tool now as well -- as these tend to get additional press.  So it just makes sense to continue to use Kickstarter in this fashion.

Look for our year two Kickstarter campaign to launch this weekend from the Portland Retrogaming Expo.

TrekMD

Greyfox

many thanks for explaining this and clearing up the queries now, I fully understand the marketing strategies behind it and hope it is a successful kickstarter and second year for Retro magazine.

Shadowrunner

Nice to hear from you Read. Looks like I need to renew my subscription before Friday to get the deal :)

zapiy

Quote from: "ReadRetro"
Quote from: "zapiy"You make valid points that many people will be thinking, would be good if @ReadRetro or @Jokeontheworld could fill us in?

Hey guys,

Just wanted to come in here and address.  Since we have continued to sell subscriptions all year long, it should be obvious we have already committed to year two regardless of the outcome of this next Kickstarter campaign.  We are using this campaign to fund improvements like adding more pages, adding more illustrators and artists, adding surprise magazine, custom art pull-out inserts, adding more favorite gaming writers and personalities, expanding our retail circulation through stores like Barnes and Noble and Hastings Entertainment, etc.

We wanted to give our original backers an opportunity to buy in at the same price as they paid in the original Kickstarter, even though our subscription rate will go up with these added improvements.  Other magazines, like Nintendo Force have also run second year Kickstarter campaigns so this is not something out of the ordinary.  Also, Kickstarter's have kind of become a marketing tool now as well -- as these tend to get additional press.  So it just makes sense to continue to use Kickstarter in this fashion.

Look for our year two Kickstarter campaign to launch this weekend from the Portland Retrogaming Expo.

Thanks for popping on and clearing that up Mike.. All makes sense and no one is forced to do either...

Simon_G

I purchased a sub and the four released digital back issues a few days ago and paid by card but did not get access to the back issues :(

EDIT - Just checked and have access to them now :)

TrekMD

Greyfox

Greyfox

zapiy