Genesis/Megadrive Mini announced.

Started by zapiy, April 14, 2018, 15:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

To celebrate the console’s upcoming 30th anniversary, Sega took the opportunity to unveil its own miniature . The so-called “Mega Drive Mini” will be released later in 2018, in Japan at least.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Hopefully it will come later to the rest of the globe.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

TrekMD

If it uses the hardware technology from Sega, that shouldn't be a problem.  Maybe it's a licensing issue outside of Japan but Sega may require them to just release it as is with just a change in branding to Genesis where that was the original console's name.  Let's hope.

AmigaJay

Quote from: Shadowrunner on April 14, 2018, 17:55:55 PM
https://twitter.com/ATGFlashback/status/985158110837911552?s=09

AT games is going to be making it. . .

:(
Nooooooooo! Bang goes out the quality control then! Such a shame, though will reserve judgement, they have to improve sometime right!?
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

Yep. Sega just made another shite decision. I’m out.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Ryuhi

I would buy this but I already own a fully working megadrive wit ha very large game library but hope it does go well though

Vadergb

Sega need to follow the Nintendo route and build the interface and emulation themselves (or Licence it from Nintendo  8)). The problem is they don't have the hardware experience anymore unlike Nintendo and the benefits that brings - eshops, virtual consoles, OS's.

Secondly they have historically licenced their hardware to Atgames and Tektoy, I'm sure the little box will be made with that tech.

The other issue with a mini is the games included. Nintendo went to third parties to ensure big 3rd party titles appeared on their console. I hoping that Sega bring the best games that are rare and dificult to get hold of as well as the big hitters. (Licenced games wont be included due to licencing).

I still think a Dreamcast mini or Arcade Mini would of been better options due to fact that Megadrive hardware and games have been available in handheld and console form forever.

zapiy

Agreed mate but this went down a storm and will sell out. It really is a numbers thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrekMD

Quote from: Vadergb on April 15, 2018, 14:55:35 PM
I still think a Dreamcast mini or Arcade Mini would of been better options due to fact that Megadrive hardware and games have been available in handheld and console form forever.

Perhaps if this one sells well they may consider doing one of those.