The Sony PSP Thread

Started by Rogue Trooper, September 21, 2013, 20:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Trooper

Could'nt find a dedicated PSP thread (see it's listed on the handheld thread listings, but in black, clicked on it, got nothing) so thought i'd best start one, as seems like a decent number of PSP owners on here.

Thought i'd start by talking about unreleased/not finished/canned, call'em what you will PSP titles, just been looking at the 7 screens Behesda gave 'Pure' magazine of PSP Oblivion, which if actual PSP screens, did'nt look half bad, touch murky, but detailed enough to impress.

Bethesda had promised a game more suited to constraints of PSP, so no massive open game world, but something focusing on dungeon exploration with new setting and story, so in essence an original Elder Scrolls game for PSP, but offering similar things in places to the PC/PS3/360 game.

It was down for a spring 2007 release and that single preview was the 1 and only time i ever saw anything on it......

Then there was PSP Resident Evil, annouced pre-2009 E3, said to be a totally new Res.Evil game, something both Capcom+Sony had wanted for a very long time, designed with PSP:Go in mind...due 'sometime in 2010'...Capcom working closely with Sony...and...not a damn thing came of it.

TrekMD

Yes, that's because we did not have a thread for it yet.  You just started it!  :)

I've never really kept track of games that have not launched on the PSP so this will be interesting to discuss.  Looks like there are several games that were promised but were never released. 

I am aware of one, though, that was announced but was not released:  Superman Returns.  It made it to many other systems but never to the PSP. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Rogue Trooper

Well, you know what they say, if you don't see the thread your after, create it yourself.

Did a touch more digging on unreleased/unfinished PSP stuff:

Elder scrolls Travels:Oblivion was how the PSP game would have been known.In development for approx. a year by Climax Group, tech demo's of game engine shown, game suddenly cancelled it seems.

Few other titles that caught my eye:

Black and White:Creatures-But this looked to be more of a Tamagochii-like game, rather than the PC/planned DC game.

Streetfighter:Fury

Xmen Vs Streetfighter II

BloodRayne (new game?)

Painkiller:Hellwars

Genkido:The Dark Angel (DMC style game).

TrekMD

How many of these games were cancelled because of the PS Vita?

Rogue Trooper

Always been rumoured that the 3DS put paid to PSP Resident Evil....

Not just the software that made for interesting reading, some of the patents for hardware raised an eyebrow in my case:

Sony filed patent for a touch panel accesory (which would have sat on top of PSP) around same time as they did the GPS device and Camera.....

Madcatz filed patent for a motion detecting gun controller for PSP (basically you mounted PSP in the 'shell' of the gun unit) a trigger was used for firing, motion sensoes for movement, idea being device would bring extra degree of realism to FPS on PSP, but it'd either required addt.batts, thus making PSP even heavier or would have drawn power from PSP itself, PSP not exactly known for great batt.life, so can see why idea never quite made it....

TrekMD

Those are several interesting ideas for the system but I can't them being practical to use.  I'm guessing the touch screen idea was moved over to the Vita and abandoned for the PSP.

onthinice

Good idea, RT!

The PSP is an amazing little unit. 

TrekMD

Yes it is!  Let me put this review here.  I like Classic Game Room's reviews.  :)

[align=center:1an1mbr1]Classic Game Room HD - Sony PSP review[/align:1an1mbr1]

onthinice

Nice review! I have never had read problems or UMD skipping. I was unaware of those problems.

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"Nice review! I have never had read problems or UMD skipping. I was unaware of those problems.

Yeah, when he said the one problem the system has are the UMD's, I was surprised.  I have never had a problem with mine but I do take good care of them.  I actually like the format also. 

onthinice

I do as well. The cover seems to protect the disk better. I know it holds the UMD in place but it was also smart thinking to avoid most scratches.

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"I do as well. The cover seems to protect the disk better. I know it holds the UMD in place but it was also smart thinking to avoid most scratches.

Yes, the exposed surface is very small so damaging the discs is not as easy.  Not that it can't happen but the case protects them pretty well.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "onthinice"Good idea, RT!

The PSP is an amazing little unit.

Thank you.Thought it deserved a little love, some fantastic Retro compilations on it and i'm playing more on it these days than ever (deleted 360 Dishonored, just boring me to tears..went off and played Miami Vice on PSP) and do feel that it's ripe with potential for discussion.

guest4770

I picked up a PSP a couple of years back and I think its fantastic, especially with emulation.

In fact, I spend more time gaming on handhelds, the anything else.

Great thread RT - hopefully more folk will drop by and post interesting stuff...

Football Manager on the PSP is costing me my social life...

Rogue Trooper

Again, kind words much appreciated.

Looks like Ubisoft had at one point thought about bringing Far Cry to PSP (i loved the 2 Xbox versions as well as PC original), but judging by reports on how bad the Wii version turned out, might have done us a favour by not bringing it to PSP after all...

Seemed like odd choice though, as they'd previousily stated PS2 could'nt handle it, hence Xbox Only at time and i know some developers got more out of their PSP games than they did PS2 versions (Deadline Games doubled the no.of on-screen enemies in Chili Con Carnage PSP over PS2 Total Carnage), but Far Cry on PSP, phew that'd been some achivement.....

Codemasters had shown off PSP Cannon Fodder (new version given a graphical make-over, with new features:You could call in airstrikes, carry out radar scans etc, new weapons like sniper rifles and flamethrowers, plus had wireless play for upto 4-players, in deathmatch and co-op modes), but to me it looked pretty generic, lacking any of the charm of the original, so i did'nt really miss it, when it was canned.