Let's Compare: Contra

Started by TL, December 14, 2012, 14:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Trooper

Good call here, only really want to compare the micro versions, with foot note on console versions, of original Contra.

Played a lot of the C64 version, back in the day, blocky sprites, washed out colour scheme (and having to press SPACEBAR to jump was bloody annoying), but loved the games speed and music.

Have tried the CPC version via emulation, most colourful, if a little messy, but lack of in-game music kills lot of the 'feel' of the game i find.

Speccy version, nice sprite definition, great music (even if it struggles at times), good sound FX, apart from your gun firing.Impressive, as is...

The GB version, though my hatred for the GB screen meant i never played it on the GB.

Find myself playing the Nes version (via emulation), a lot these days, dunno why, just are.

Nice to see Mass Effect 2 designers a fan of SNES Super Contra, as last boss a blatant rip-off off 1 found in the game.

TL

I have never been a massive Contra fan but I did enjoy playing the Spectrum version (Gryzor) when I was a kid.

I have to say that I am impressed how good that MSX version looks, shame there is no scrolling.

TrekMD

I have this on my Android phone.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

I have the NES Contra and NES Super C. Good video.

Rogue Trooper

Zzap64 review for C64:

Graphics 81%
Sound 71%
Hookability 81%
Lastability 82%
Overall 86%

nakamura

I like Contra, bit hard though. I remember playing the NES and SNES versions, still play SNES and they are great. The MD game is also supposed to be really good. The DS game, as retro as it isn't I guess is well worth a look.
The Gameboy version is really impressive.

Rogue Trooper

Contra, GB pulled in 91% at review in Zero, along with a 'Console Classic' award.

C+VG gave it Overall 93%.

Rogue Trooper