Atari Box

Started by TrekMD, June 09, 2017, 04:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

I don't either.  That is too costly and we really know very little of what the console offers.  It'll be very hard to compete with Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Who is the target market for this?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Quote from: zapiy on July 12, 2020, 17:58:21 PM
Who is the target market for this?
Good question.  I think only Atari can answer that right now, particularly with the price tag they have given this thing.

TrekMD

TrekMD

I just read this article, which has an interesting take on Atari's new console:  Forget Chromeboxes, Atari’s VCS 800 May be My Next Chrome OS Desktop

Shadowrunner

They make some good points. I've already said I don't think this is for the average person, but maybe it doesn't have to be. Atari made a niche product that will appeal to their fans and tech people that have to have everything. From what I've read about it now it sounds like it's going to be a good little device. If the price came down a bit I'd be tempted to get one.

TrekMD

Yes, I figured it was a good article to share.  I'm very curious to see what happens with this system once it is actually released. 

TrekMD

Well, looks like these are finally ready to ship for backers...

QuoteHello Backers!

We hope everyone had a safe and happy summer, despite the ongoing pandemic, and was able to enjoy some time with friends and family.

With the official arrival of fall, we are excited to report that much of the Indiegogo production run is already well on its way, crossing the ocean and headed to Atari’s fulfillment warehouse in California.  As long-promised, Indiegogo backers will be the world’s first customers to receive their Atari VCS systems and accessories!

It was an incredibly busy summer at the Atari VCS and PowerA factories as the various teams worked hard to deliver the units. Mass production is almost complete, only the Wireless Classic Joysticks remain to complete.

The biggest mission-critical element to assure smooth shipping is making sure every backer has the correct addressand contact information in their Backerkit account. Amazingly, more than 200 backers still have not done this! Please visit https://atari-vcs.backerkit.com to confirm your info and avoid frustrating delivery hassles! This is a self-serve function that cannot be done on Indiegogo and the very best way to assure a trouble-free delivery of your VCS.

In the meantime, please check out our newest Medium blog post for behind the scenes information and tons of great photos from the factory loading docks and assembly line, including backers’ first chance to see a finished Atari VCS 800 Collector’s Edition.

More updates coming soon!

-- The Atari VCS Team

zapiy

Interesting, look forward to seeing peoples views on it as it lands.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Shadowrunner

It does look nice. I'm interested to see how it does.

zapiy

It looks lovely but the price is still no good for me.

Shadowrunner

I agree, although for me that has more to do with the timing than the actual cost. This is basically a mini PC and for everything it's supposed to do I don't think it's that bad a price. If it came out a couple of years earlier or later I would probably get one but coming out at the same time as next gen consoles I just don't have the money to spare right now.

DO THE MATH probably won't work for a slogan this time ;D

davyk

If they had just produced that casing for the Pi with a nice bit of software to load onto it then it would have sold pretty well.

TrekMD

That may have been easier!