Any Arcade owners?

Started by zapiy, February 28, 2012, 08:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArcadeAction

This looks like a lot of fun!  Nice job!!

zapiy

Great work fella.. Really impressive.. :113:

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Looks like a lot of work but it'll be great once you're done.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Back in Time Sime

I have a pair of Sega Astro City candy cabs, one for horizonal play, one for vertical...

Mainly though use it for Neo-Geo though, its all about the Geo...

Check out my YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/BackinTimeSime - New retro review each Thursday...

davyk

Look out for an article I'm writing on this very subject.

:)

TrekMD

HomerRamone2084

Ive got a Robotron machine. Its still got the original boards in but when they died I cheated and fitted a PC. I should maybe look into getting the originals refurbished or something.

Ive also got an Addams Family pin

Finally ive got a home made coffee table with a PC inside running mame. This was in the living room for years but was relegated to a bedroom when it hardly got played.
(You can buy flatpacks for both coffee tables, bar tops and uprights quite readily now on flea bay).

I have a hankering for another pin - as a project but even ones that fit into "project" category are going for £600+ :
(And of course they take up a lot of space)

I'm also in the middle of constructing a virtual pin - which I started to try and scratch the aforementioned "I want another pinball" itch :)

TrekMD

Your very own coffee table arcade emulator?  That sounds awesome!  Any pics?

HomerRamone2084

I can probably take some - but its pretty much a table someone made me that I put a PC and a monitor inside :)

I did think of making a "streamline" one - that uses a flat panel monitor. Cos its somewhat large but i never got around to it.

TrekMD

That's cool.  Would be nice to see it still.  :)

Cryptic33

Quote from: zapiy on February 28, 2012, 08:04:35 AM
This is one system I don't own. I guess I just don't have the spare room to justify owning one but ultimately I aim to own one at somepoint.

Anyone here own one?
Ok, I thought it about time I revisited this topic as the traditional arcade cabs are where my love for gaming really got ramped up. Yes, I had a 2600 back in the day and it was great for so many reasons. However, as you may know, I really fell in love with a game called Crystal Castles and the arcade version is by far the best. In short, around April 2019 I intend to buy a cabinet, albeit mame, but I’ve decided it’s been long enough and to hell with not have space, I’m treating myself. I hope to get some pictures etc on here during the summer 😎
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

HomerRamone2084

Loved CC. Sadly its just not so much fun with a controller - so all the versions on consoles just get frustrating.

TrekMD

I don't know if you're aware, but several 2600 games have been hacked to have true trak-ball control.  Unfortunately, CC is not among those because it would require a complete rewrite of the game code to be able to implement true trak-ball control for it.  I was so disappointed when I learned that.  I wish someone did hack the 8-bit version to use the trak-ball, though!

Cryptic33

Quote from: HomerRamone2084 on February 01, 2019, 12:13:03 PM
Loved CC. Sadly its just not so much fun with a controller - so all the versions on consoles just get frustrating.

The arcade version was designed for a trackball and the 2600 version just doesn’t cut it for me. The 8-bit version was an excellent conversion which I recall being trackball compatible. It’s a very good version of CC. However, I’m going to obtain an arcade cab with the original version installed and a proper trackball. Expensive, but the best way to play CC.
Quote from: TrekMD on February 01, 2019, 12:24:08 PM
I don't know if you're aware, but several 2600 games have been hacked to have true trak-ball control.  Unfortunately, CC is not among those because it would require a complete rewrite of the game code to be able to implement true trak-ball control for it.  I was so disappointed when I learned that.  I wish someone did hack the 8-bit version to use the trak-ball, though!
I’m going back a long way but I’m sure the XL/XE version was trackball compatible. In fact now I think about it BTB of The Jag Bar did a video of all three versions with his kids and they used trackballs, at least on the 8-bit and arcade machine he has.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

TrekMD

Is it true trak-ball mode or just a trak-ball controller in joystick mode?