CENTRON 3D Now being developed for Amiga

Started by RPC_GAMES, July 10, 2014, 14:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

RPC_GAMES

Hi Guys, we've been working flat out on Centron3D for the Amiga and we now have a short gameplay video of ALL 23 LEVELS. Check it out on YouTube and please let me know what ya think.

Pete   :4:

Video 09 Centron3D All levels http://youtu.be/NC55D1u6EaM

bogstandard

Looks like the game engine is pretty solid.  Reminds me of shareware games I used to enjoy as a kid!

The dithering on the backgrounds looks a bit harsher especially on brighter backgrounds/balls.  It's like the solid bright colors are too many shades brighter than the closest dithered color.. if that makes any sense?  I dunno if that's just my sorry eyes or YouTube messing with your graphics.

Keep going!

zapiy

Looks great from my laymans point of view.. Loon being a coder is better placed to understand whats going on lol.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

bogstandard

Quote from: "zapiy"Looks great from my laymans point of view.. Loon being a coder is better placed to understand whats going on lol.

It does look great!  I intentionally tried to be nit picky as we developers are always looking for ways to improve our stuff.

Back when desktop wallpaper was optimal at 256 colors I used to try paint program after paint program to find the best dithering patterns so it didn't look off.  I'm obsessive that way :p

TrekMD

Good to see this making progress.  Thanks for the video of the game in action!  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

RPC_GAMES

Thanks guys. Dithering gives the impression of more colours on the screen, so we used dithering on most of the backgrounds. Centron 3D game play uses the 64 colour HalfBright mode and really, this was the best graphics we could get from a 64 colour palette. We did try 4096 colour HAM6 mode but the colours just bled into the adjacent colours when moving Blitter Objects and looked absolutely terrible, so we decided to use the 4096 colour mode only for the intro screen and the instructions screen.

The next graphics mode down the line was HalfBright 64 colour mode, 32 real colours and 1 shade of the real colour = 64 colours. Using 6 bit planes on the 8Mhz A500 was quite a challenge and we didn't think the A500 chipset would be fast enough to move Blitter Objects in 6 bitplanes but it turns out it can and it's quite playable.

All Scoring, Men, Text, Blitter objects and backgrounds ALL use the same 64 colour HB palette, so what we had to do was to mix all the palettes including all background picture palettes into one palette and then load in one colour palette for ALL levels and Blitter Objects. Did that make sense?  :)  so we had to strip down the anims and SFX to get it to fit into 1MB and all is working at the moment. It's been an absolute blast doing the Amiga A500 ver of Centron 3D and it's almost complete. Release date is very very soon :4:
Manager
RPC-Games!
Aussie Land

zapiy

Looks great fella..Good to here its working well on the original A500 :113:

RPC_GAMES

zapiy

@RPC_GAMES  Purchased now and can't wait to get my copy. Might even run a comp with it? Or you could send a second copy for that lol?

guest5112

[s:387kq0m7]Any news?
Is the game finished?[/s:387kq0m7]

Sorry, just seen it :-)

zapiy

Finished. Look in the board for the sales thread.