Author Topic: New Kickstarter: Games for Atari: 1977 to 1995 by Marc Oberhäuser.  (Read 670 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
This new Kickstarter is by Marc Oberhäuser.  For anyone who doesn't know who Marc is, he designs boxes for the Atari games and he makes some pretty remarkable stuff.  Well he now wants to get support to make a book called Games for Atari: 1977 to 1995 and get support through crowd funding.  Check it out here:  Games for Atari: 1977 to 1995 by Marc Oberhäuser.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 08:45:08 AM by zapiy »

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
Re: Re: Kickstarter Projects
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 14:23:32 PM »
From the cover i thought this isn't going to look pretty, but pleasantly surprised when i looked at the Kickstarter, well designed, colourful looks good, i think someone needs to tell him to change the cover asap to be inline with the style of inside, will help sales i'm sure.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 18:13:56 PM »
I agree with you.  The cover could use a redesign because the inside of the book does look really good.

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 20:42:09 PM »
The stretch goals look good, I like the sound of the system poster. This is what stretch goals should be!Collectible shit, not an extra 100777 accumulated pages...
I agree with the cover not really reflecting the content design. Could do with reviewing I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 14:31:38 PM »
Looks great from inside, initially i passed it by as I thought it was another one of these amateur attempts but wow was I wrong..

Cover def needs changing to convince me to pledge.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 12:20:42 PM »
Marc just joined RVG.  Maybe you guys can give him some constructive input on ways to improve the cover. 

Offline Marc Oberhäuser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 12:32:35 PM »
Hello,

Many thanks for your feedback to the Kickstarter. As for the cover: It's not written in stone. It would be great if you let me know what may attract you. I am not an artist and thought it looks ok.

Marc.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 12:34:18 PM »
Firstly are we the only people to say the cover needs changing, if so then leave it as we are the minority lol... If not, my simple suggestion is make the outside and colourful as the inside.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 12:40:34 PM »
I'm no designer either but we have a forum member who is and may be able to provide some assistance.  A more colorful front cover would not hurt, though I don't know how much that would add to your costs to the book.

Offline Marc Oberhäuser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 12:53:50 PM »
Firstly are we the only people to say the cover needs changing, if so then leave it as we are the minority lol... If not, my simple suggestion is make the outside and colourful as the inside.

I've seen some critic on another website IIRC. And I am ok with the original design, but that doesn't mean I won't like to improve it. :)

And thanks for the kind words to the general look of the Kickstarter page. Done completley by myself :) The KS Video is somewhat lame, and if you compare the result with the time invested... Oh dear, it should be a masterpiece ;)

Marc.

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 13:40:52 PM »
Hi Marc,

What you have done inside the book has taken time and effort which can be seen, i only forced myself to have a look, i wasn't going to because the cover image looks very unfinished, i think the quicker you change it then the more people won't get turned off straight away by it, not to sound horrible of course, we aren't the only ones who don't like it, i see comments on Twitter and Facebook just about the cover, so you are doing the rest fine which is great.

As i said above, just carry some of the inside bold colours (maybe Atari brown?) to the outside, a plain white background only works if its well designed, i say go with a coloured cover and have bigger bold text and 4-6 bigger images, maybe remove the grid, still line them up though.

But great work on the rest.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 17:03:35 PM »
If I may add my two cents @Marc

I'm the resident designer here at RVG and have of course looked and seen your kickstarter project for the ambitious route you are taking with your book, I look the top trump concept for the book and seems to work very well, when designing something of this nature it's very important not to over kill or confuse the reader with so much going on which is very hard considering how visual these games are etc. Pick a format and stick with it which you have done here, my advice in regards to the actually spreads is rather than having a game screen watermarked against a whit background at what looks about 40% opacity why not use a colour from the games that is more in tune with the colour scheme of the game? In other words use colour from the game that will offset from the background but kept the the same feel to the game? So instead of white in which the game screen sits in the background, use a colour from the game instead as the watermark ?

Now for the cover I understand a few people here have concerns regarding it, i'm also one of those people, you have to remember that the cover in the center piece in a shop window, basic or bare many wil over look this regardless how good the content is inside, this make sense? So it's the trick to find out what's more appealing to the customer, as your covering not just one format but many within the same context, so a unified design would be needed here, now i'm not ruling out the difference machines you have here, but the context in the order they are in and these lines separating them, making it more appear like a puzzle book or noughts and Crosses approach, you may not have seen that, but your thinking it lol, I'm a sneak sorry. I also feel that your not taking the space of the cover into consideration either, with text and fonts being one size and not be centralised for impact to the reader, this needs to be addressed.

Now for my cheap plug, if you goto my site www.Atarigamer.co.uk I've done 3 atari related digital magazines to which ignited the communitis when they papered a few years back, so presentation was the key element here as was the content and the layouts, to which I'm sure you have done great work on. I can only tell you that when designing the cover or getting someone who can must know the subject matter very well. I love the Atari stuff and I think what your covering is fantastic and the stretch goals are ace too. I'd hate to see this hampered because the presentation didn't reach its desired audience, also to note that your page previews are flat, I can see that there was some sort of attempt to give the appearence of a two page spread mockup, I think these may need addressing also, like what I did for Marco Breddin's "Breaking the Boarders" Atari ST publication which you can see Here to get an unserstanding of what I'm talking about. But I truly wish you the best of luck with this wonderful project, I may possibly pick it up for review here at RVG as I also do book reviews for the site in helping authors like yourself get great awareness for their pubications

Have a good one.

Offline Marc Oberhäuser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 22:18:11 PM »
Actually, I have 2 of your magazines (digital download) and enjoyed them very much:)

Background
I understand where you come from. I have enclosed earlier iterations of the page style. First I liked it, but the further the project went, the more I disliked the colored backgrounds. I really don't know what option is the better one...

Page layout widescreen
I have backed the ST book. The ST is still my No 1 :) A re-design to a different format is no option. I would have to rework many assets, assets that took me 2 years to create. When I started the project I got inspired by the Bitmap Books and Fusion Retro Books and took the same approach (if it ain't broke, don't fix it...).

Front art
I will sit down and try to move the look into the right direction. I'll keep you posted.

Marc.

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 23:01:04 PM »
Many thanks Marc for showing these. I really like the colour schemes but rather than flat colour have your image as normal, but with a colour overlay that all the different high lights and pixels make up the background etc. And I wish to personally thank you for purchasing the magazines from my site, I'm very grateful for the support, also just to mention in case youbmissed it I done a third Atari ST digital magazine in conjunction with my good friend Steve Gregory over at Atari Crpyt if case you might have missed Here in regards to colour schemes I was talking about and if you love your ST more your welcome to my Free Atari ST 2017 Calendar Here

Have a good one ;)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 23:18:52 PM »
Glad to see this is helping!  :)