Author Topic: DOWNRIGHT BIZARRE GAMES: Video Games that Crossed the Line  (Read 887 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
DOWNRIGHT BIZARRE GAMES: Video Games that Crossed the Line
« on: November 19, 2016, 03:02:34 AM »

DOWNRIGHT BIZARRE GAMES: Video Games that Crossed the Line

Downright Bizarre Games: Video Games that Crossed the Line pokes fun at the video game industry, an entertainment business that often takes itself much too seriously. This is a hilarious look at the odd side of the industry, from games outside of the norm to bad art and outlandish dialogue. Also featured are unfortunate headlines, marketing fiascos and publicity stunts gone awry. All these eccentric and strange events are documented within this book which gaming professionals wish had never seen print.

Check out the INTERACTIVE preview at Blurb.com that allows you to view a portion of this FULL COLOR coffee-table book. Books can be purchased through Blurb, or via the GoodDealGames.com website if interested parties want an autographed or personalized copy.

SoftCover:
http://www.blurb.com/b/7444244-downright-bizarre-games

Deluxe HardBack:
http://www.blurb.com/b/7444204-downright-bizarre-games

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 10:41:30 AM by zapiy »

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: DOWNRIGHT BIZARRE GAMES: Video Games that Crossed the Line
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 03:32:30 AM »
Nice looking book. Should be a great read.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 03:35:30 AM »
Yes it should.  This is from my friend Michael from Good Deal Games.  :) 

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 10:14:10 AM »
This looks pretty damn cool.. Will be interested in this once we see more on it.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 11:36:11 AM »
I'm impressed. A clever angle on these type of titles that indeed go beyond the norm and all the better for it, one that springs to mind for me was a game called "Captain Blood" a French title so far out there is a cult classic now along with many others I could list, and mainly on computers rather than consoles.

But I like the design and the information seems to be excellent too. Pricing though is very high ruining any chance for me to purchase, this is what gets up on my dander great books jailed due to expensive P.O.D services really do over price things and hand cuff the author out making real money that is deserved by the content, the chap should of have done a kickstarter for this.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 12:26:42 PM »
I know worked on this book for quite some time.  If you want to see a bit more, do check out the virtual preview on the links above.  You can go through quite a few pages of the book to get a sense of the content.

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 15:40:46 PM »
Cheers Trek, I've had a look at the preview and I have to say it's fantastic , I can clearly see the man has given great effort to the content and it shines very brightly within, but I had a few concerns on some of the spreads not working as regards the text versus the background elements completely distorting the flow of the article, best example of this where this has happen , the article "Bayonetta" using stroking on text is a no no if it can be avoided it lessen the publication we care has not be taken in regards to the background design element, the text gets the priority here not the othe way around, so either have used bold text to separate it or bordered a darker reticular box underneath the text to make it stand off the background which has being done in later spreads et, also "Cyberdillo" is nearly completely obscured from the background which was very serve. But I love the book , I think it's really awesome piece of kit , could wish it could have been priced more accordingly to that of 9x6 book which runs retail at about 19-25 buck excluding shipping, so expected total cost 30 bucks at most.

But I wish him the very best with this project, I know that heart and soul is pure into these projects , I know only too well of this myself, so I hope this isn't taken as negative critism far from it, free advice for future projects is always welcomed 😉

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 19:53:00 PM »
Darren anyone who knows you would know your not being critical but more offering an experienced point of view.

Trek I missed that preview link so cheers pal..

[member=6127]mthomasson[/member] I must say a huge welcome my friend.. I personally wish you all the best with this and wondered if you might have a UK distributer being sorted?
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline mthomasson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 22:53:52 PM »
I have been made aware of this thread, and wanted to say thanks for the kind words. I spent 1,760 hours working on the book (writing and layout) and it truly is a labor of love. I realize that Blurb is a bit pricey, but if anyone reading this places an order for the book with me directly (mct@gooddealgames.com) I can get you a better price. I'll also autograph and personalize them for free upon request.

Concerning UK availability. This book was originally meant to be made available through Amazon, which would print regionally and distribute accordingly. However, after wrestling with them for almost a month and being denied 18 times, I finally gave up and took my business elsewhere. Amazon told me that the book could not be printed as is, despite me setting the book up to their parameters. However for several hundred dollars, they would be happy to format it correctly for print. I used to work for the 2nd largest book printing company in the world (Magna Graphics) and have worked on eight other books, so I knew it was right, and sure enough when I sent the files to three other groups, they all instantly accepted the file and were able to print them with no issues. So, for the moment European distribution consists of me mailing it to you - which I am happy to do!

Hope this helps,
Michael Thomasson

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 01:59:44 AM »
Welcome to RVG, Michael!  I'd like the book singed so I'll order it from you directly!  Thanks!

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 06:27:35 AM »
Hi fella,

I will do the same thanks.

Offline mthomasson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 12:54:21 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been a long-time visitor of RVG, but never posted until now.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 22:51:58 PM »
Thank you for joining us pal..

Perhaps an updated interview is needed....

Offline mthomasson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 12:45:51 PM »
Anytime - ask away!