Author Topic: Archer MacLean Interview Questions Needed.  (Read 1182 times)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Archer MacLean Interview Questions Needed.
« on: August 28, 2015, 17:39:49 PM »
[align=center:3gkl3vu9]

I am pleased to announce our next interview is with Archer Maclean, this one is huge for me personally as Archer has made some of my all time favourite games like Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker and Archer Maclean's Mercury.

He is also the creator of Dropzone and International Karate, which he developed for the Atari 8-bit family but were ported to other systems. Archer also created the sequel to International Karate, IK+..

Please post your questions
[/align:3gkl3vu9]
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: Archer MacLean Interview Questions Needed.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 03:40:57 AM »
Just a few questions to get things started...

1.  What was your inspiration for International Karate?
2.  Did you have a preferred computer platform to work on at the time?  The Atari 8-Bit or the C64?
3.  How much involvement did you have in the ports to other computers and system?
4.  What challenges did you face when programming Mercury for the PSP? 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 16:39:00 PM »
Nice one Chap..

A few from me..

Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker is amazing, it was a technical masterpiece.. And i want to thank you for making what I still consider one of the best games ever made and a gaming breakthrough. Tell us a little about that time, the making of the game, the ideas process, the timeline so to speak? Any funny stories and do you have any early mock ups and so on of the game you could share with us?

Further on from that, what was it like working for Virgin Games?

You have been in the game (pardon the pun) for many years now, you must have some stories you can tell us all which have not gotten out as of yet lol?

Wheelspin on the Wii was your first game with your company Awesome Play. I thought the review scores were unfair as its a pretty decent racer for the Wii.. What was your thoughts on how it was received?

How did this game come about?

Whats happening now at Awesome Play?

Any new games in the planning?
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 15:46:21 PM »
Jimmy White's Snooker is not with rose tinted glasses still my favourite snooker game,  i was really looking forward to the sequel on the Sega Dreamcast in 1999, but was sadly disappointed, the whole game was slow and cumbersome which made it the opposite of the first game and took away from being much fun, was this a problem with Windows CE on the Dreamcast that seem to also plague other early titles, and do you wish it could have been written to the hardware for better performance?
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 17:12:33 PM »
Great vintage arcade games in your picture! Is this an ongoing collection, and how many do you have?

When you first got started in the industry, did you have any idea it would become as big as it did?

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 14:01:18 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to talk with us, can you tell us how your career in the games industry started, how did you land your first big job?

What was your inspiration for International Karate?

Did you have a preferred computer platform to work on at the time?  The Atari 8-Bit or the C64?

Did you ever get to meet the Tramiel's? If so can you tell us about that?

What system was the easiest and hardest for you as a coder and designer to create games for?

Amiga or Atari ST and why?

How much involvement did you have in the ports to other computers and system?

What challenges did you face when programming Mercury for the PSP? 

Mercury has to be one of the best puzzle games ever created, can you tell us the thought process for the game and why you chose the PSP to develope it for?

Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker is amazing, it was a technical masterpiece.. And i want to thank you for making what I still consider one of the best games ever made and a gaming breakthrough. Tell us a little about that time, the making of the game, the ideas process, the timeline so to speak? Any funny stories and do you have any early mock ups and so on of the game you could share with us?

Further on from that, what was it like working for Virgin Games?

You have been in the game (pardon the pun) for many years now, you must have some stories you can tell us all which have not gotten out as of yet lol?

Wheelspin on the Wii was your first game with your company Awesome Play. I thought the review scores were unfair as its a pretty decent racer for the Wii.. What was your thoughts on how it was received?

How did this game come about?

Do you have any stories you can tell us about working in the industry back then? Good and Bad.

Any new games in the planning?

Jimmy White's Snooker is not with rose tinted glasses still my favourite snooker game,  i was really looking forward to the sequel on the Sega Dreamcast in 1999, but was sadly disappointed, the whole game was slow and cumbersome which made it the opposite of the first game and took away from being much fun, was this a problem with Windows CE on the Dreamcast that seem to also plague other early titles, and do you wish it could have been written to the hardware for better performance?

Great vintage arcade games in your picture! Is this an ongoing collection, and how many do you have?

When you first got started in the industry, did you have any idea it would become as big as it did?

Do you still maintain relationships with friends or contacts from that time period? If so, how often do you all get together or discuss ideas and things from back in the day?

Whats happening now at Awesome Play?

Questions sent.