Author Topic: RVG Interviews Sam Dyer (Bitmap Books).  (Read 1327 times)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
RVG Interviews Sam Dyer (Bitmap Books).
« on: July 12, 2015, 22:52:06 PM »
[align=center:1qccfef3][/align:1qccfef3]
[align=center:1qccfef3]It gives me great please to announce our next interview is with Sam Dyer.

Sam is the brains behind Bitmap Books who have had two hugely successful Kickstarter campaigns for for Retro Gaming Books.

Commodore 64: a visual Compendium
Commodore Amiga: a visual Compendium
Sinclair ZX Spectrum: a visual Compendium

Anyway, enjoy.
[/align:1qccfef3]

zapiy

Thank you for taking the time to talk to us Sam, could you start by telling us a little about you?

SamTrekMD

How did you first become inspired to make the Compendium books?

SamTrekMD

What were the challenges you faced with the first book that learned from and were able to avoid the second time around?

SamTrekMDSam

The aim is to do a whole series of visual compendium books so yes, Atari will be covered for sure. How could they not?

Greyfox

What made you go the route of Crowd Fundraising?

SamGreyfox

What are some of the pitfalls, if any during the Kickstarter campaign on your books?

SamGreyfox

Knowing that your officially a massive C64 Fan, was the first compendium something you came up with in a short period of time?

SamGreyfox

What was the thinking behind this book?

SamGreyfox

Where you faced with many obstacles in contacting people you wanted to have within the book?

Sam

Not really. I was hugely lucky that Andy Roberts initially introduced me to his contacts such as Jon Hare, Robin Levy and Gary Penn. Once they were on-board it all snowballed from there and got easier.

Greyfox

What were the logistics of handling delivery of the your first book to the backers? Getting the perks made, special requests e.g. The Thalamus Pledge, the Oliver Frey Ocean Book Pledges? what did this involve and how did you go about it?

Samzapiy

Thanks for taking the time to chat to us Sam, please tell us a little about you and your gaming history.

SamGreyfox

Where there any reasons why you decided to go with 8.5" x 5" book size, considering the amount of visual content? was this a cheaper and more affordable route?

SamGreyfox

Being a Graphic Designer myself, on average how many pages of content were you able to produce a week as regards to getting the book completed? or were you working on it long term?

SamGreyfox

Is there anything you would of done differently on the c64 book, e.g improvements or added even more unique stuff to it?

Sam

I would have offered a hardback option from the start with he C64 book as that is something that many people were/are after. I should have listened more to the feedback.

GreyfoxSamGreyfox

Knowing the Amiga Community to be one of the most welcoming, Was there anybody you wanted in the Amiga book that was unable or didn't want to be involved?

SamGreyfox

Was there any reason why you didn't go down the multi-media route with the PDF of the Amiga book, as you did with the C64 book?

SamGreyfox

Off topic question, what did your work colleagues think of all this? doing a book based on computer systems they possible never heard of or wondered, "Why the hell is he doing that?" type impressions?

SamGreyfox

Any anecdotes you'd like to share while researching and that wasn't able to go into the Amiga book?

Sam

Not really. Pretty much everything I wanted to go into the Amiga book, went in.

Greyfox

How many Compendium Books are you planning to do in volumetric numbers? (Hopefully this question will be a RVG Exclusive lol)

Sam
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
Re: RVG Interviews Sam Dyer (Bitmap Books).
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 23:24:21 PM »
fantastic interview, really enjoyed his answers and comes across as a great guy to chat with, thanks Sam :)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
Yes I am really please with how this one turned out considering the database issue and loosing all the original questions.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 11:45:42 AM »
I added this to the Interviews tab and I forgot to comment on it!  Really nice interview indeed!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...