Author Topic: RVG Interviews David Perry.  (Read 2027 times)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
RVG Interviews David Perry.
« on: February 22, 2015, 22:24:39 PM »
[align=center:3bwupqn1]
[/align:3bwupqn1]

zapiy

Can you talk us through your career, where you started right up till now and what games you worked on?

Davezapiy

Can you tell us what it was like working for for Shiny Entertainment back then as a game maker and the owner?

DaveGreyfox

What are the logistics involved in producing games across various formats, do you feel this is a minefield at times?

DaveGreyfox

With an amazing history in game development, what was your biggest achievement from your point of view?

DaveGreyfox

When conception and design took place with Earthworm Jim, did you believe that it would become so popular with gamers around the world or was it deemed as another excellent platformer from Shiny Entertainment's stable?

DaveGreyfox

Who came up with the name Earthworm Jim and the humour that the is so enriched within the games plot and game play?

DaveGreyfox

With a vast array of games developed by Shiny Entertainment, like the Matrix titles, Disney titles, what were the companies like to deal with during this operation, helpful, obstructive?

DaveGreyfox

Out of all the games you've help create and develop, which ones are your favourites?

DaveGreyfox

Was Supremacy your first ever 16 Bit title and do you realize just how bloody fantastic that game was?

DaveGreyfox

Dan Dare Eagle comic strip and the 1st 2 Dan Dare Games on the Commodore 64 and Spectrum do you feel you might of 'cheated' Dan Dare fans somewhat, with Dan Dare III:The Escape which started off as a solo project (Crazy Jet Racer) but had no publisher, and thus was changed to suit when they landed the Dan Dare Licence?. Great as game was, it didn't really 'feel' part of the Dare Universe, can you shed any light on this?

DaveGreyfox

There was lots of talk about the Dreamcast version of " Messiah", did work ever get started on the DC version?

DaveGreyfox

Talking of Lost Games, Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 often crop up as being worked on for the Atari Jaguar platform, Were you aware of Atari or any 3rd party licensing EWJ?

DaveGreyfoxDaveGreyfox

What did you think of Biowares handling of "MDK 2"?

DaveAmigaJay

Do you miss working in the UK? If not why not!?

DaveAmigaJay

What decade of gaming is your favourite?

DaveAmigaJay

Megadrive or SNES in terms of programming?

DaveTrekMD

How much freedom did you have when working on titles from established franchises such as Disney's Aladdin, The Simpsons, and TMNT?

DaveShadowrunner

What are you working on these days?

DaveShadowrunner

Are there any old franchises you would like to reboot?

DaveShadowrunner

Back when you started, did you ever think the video game industry would get to be this big? And where do you see it going from here?

DaveShadowrunner

What are some of your favourite games to play?

Davezapiy

Did you ever start working on games for the Konix Multisystem?

Dave
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
Re: RVG Interviews David Perry.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 22:40:25 PM »
Another great interview Zapiy! You the man for contacts!  :113:
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 22:45:05 PM »
Lol, i wished..

If i am honest i am blown away each and everytime.. These guys are our heroes to a certain degree, and for them to say yes to me in the first place then take the time to reply like this is just amazing to me.

So again a HUGE thanks Dave and all those before you.. Its a complete honour and not forgetting all those that post there questions.. would not be the same without your input.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 22:59:05 PM »
For a massive game producing icon that is Dave Perry, I feel like we are talking with triple a movie stars except these are far more intelligent and interesting from the out set to talk with. Again some amazing answers to questions I've wanted answers too for some time and with this have being allowed too.

A brilliant read and a great interview that seem to get better and better each and every time Zapiy hits the jackpot in securing amazing interviewees like this for RVG. I want again to thank him for his tireless pursuit of these legends and those that took the time to forward questions for these brilliant interviews.

Thanks guys and thanks Dave :113:

Online Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 02:07:56 AM »
Really nice interview! Honoured to be a part of it :)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 17:47:05 PM »
Thanks fella..

The bit about EWJ being fat in a new game after 20 years away cracked me up.. What a great idea. :113:

Offline mqarkcambie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 16:09:53 PM »
Woah - wait, what? David Perry worked on a Konix game and he still has a "case" in his garage... WTF?

Didn't know he was involved in any way, have no idea what game he's supposed to have been working on and he's got a"case" - the mind boggles as to what that is exactly (one of the unused plastic shells of the Slipstream controller? a dev-kit...?).

Great find - I've tried reaching out to him on twitter, but Zapiy - if you could give him a quick nudge in my direction, I'd love to delve deeper.

Also - he's Northern Irish, bloody heck, always thought he was American. Maybe he knows my Mum?  8) (because she knows EVERYONE in her homeland that has ever existed and ever will - longshot LOL)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 16:14:42 PM »
Hey fella, i was waiting for you to jump on this.. yes i have messaged Dave on your behalf and pointed him your direction.. I did tell you i would ask that question in all future interviews as you never know. :113:

Offline mqarkcambie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 16:28:29 PM »
Thanks man - yes, you're good to your word!

You're a Gentleman and a Scholar :)

David definitely seemed to know what a Konix was, so it's not like he's confusing it with anything else which is very promising.

Thanks once again!

Best, Mark.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 18:10:09 PM »
No worries Mark.. this was a great interview to be part of.. :113:

Let me know how things develope?

Offline mqarkcambie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 12:53:42 PM »
Haven't been contacted by David yet (I realistically think my chances are very slim of him just coming right to me).

Zapiy - Any chance you can give him a gentle nudge after a few months? (GDC is on, so I assume he's pretty gosh darn busy!).

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 14:06:23 PM »
I will do fella.. I am sure he will get back to you or me and we can go from there fella..

I know he is busy at the moment like you say.