Author Topic: RVG Interviews Steve Screech.  (Read 1238 times)

Online zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
RVG Interviews Steve Screech.
« on: February 11, 2015, 18:42:53 PM »
[align=center:7ecixft0]

It gives my great pleasure to announce our latest interview with Steve Screech, Steve has worked for Eidos, Floodlit Software and Anco Software where he was the the Designer & Producer creating amongst others this huge list of classic football titles.

Deathball - Speccy
Kingdom of Krell - Speccy 128k
Cricket Captain - amiga and ST
Football Superstars
Kick Off 2002
Player Manager 2
Championship Manager 2010
Championship Manager 2008
Championship Manager 2006
Championship Manager 2007
Alex Ferguson's Player Manager 2001
Player Manager 2000
Player Manager 98/99
Kick Off 97
Kick Off 98
Kick Off 3: European Challenge
Kevin Keegan's Player Manager
Tip Off
Super Kick Off
Championship Manager 5
Kick Off 2: Return To Europe
Kick Off 2: The Final Whistle
Kick Off 2: Winning Tactics
Kick Off 2
Kick Off 2: Giants of Europe
Kick Off
Kick Off: Extra Time
Kick Off 2
Player Manager
Championship Manager 2006

Please enjoy the interview.[/align:7ecixft0]

zapiy

Steve, thanks for taking the time to talk to us at RVG, can you tell use a little about you and you career?

Steve

I got into computing back in the very early 80's when my uncle purchased a Spectrum. I played the brick breaker game that came with it at the time and it obviously left an impression.
From there I managed to badger my parents into picking up a Speccy of my own for a birthday/xmas present. After that I typed in listings from magazines etc and learned like that.
I started making my own games and got a couple of publishing deals before joining Anco full time in 1987.

zapiy

Do you have any early sprite designs for Kick Off that you can share with us?

Steve

Unfortunately not, I made them using an Atari ST sprite animator program that I had picked up. I started with a totally overhead view and then adapted them so that the angle was more interesting and pleasing on he eye.

zapiy

What about any other early images or designs

Steve

No again I didn't commit much to paper back then, a lot of it was off the cuff ideas and theories

zapiy

Can you tell us about Deathball that you created, ie how it came about and what the inspiration for it was?

Steve

Haha yeah well that was a future sport game on the Spectrum that I published via the CRL budget label, AlphaOmega. I ripped one of the character graphics from Lords of Midnight and sported it up to fit the purpose. The theory was you had a team of players and had to get the ball and get it to the other teams goal. It was a turn based game and it took place in a maze. It was a bit crap really but it's all part of the learning curve you go through.

zapiy

Kingdom of Krell for the Speccy 128k was another one of your creations, i believe you wrote these under the name of 'The Majestic 12' can you tell us about the games and what that name was about?

Steve

I used the Majestic 12 name when I wrote Cricket Captain, not Krell. That was because I was working for Anco at the time and didn't want to upset the boss there, Anil Gupta. As an awkward coincidence of this I had to accompany Anil to see the chief buyer for WHSmiths at one point, when we were in his office he showed us this new cricket game he had come across, lo and behold it was Cricket Captain which was a little freaky. I said nothing of course but did mention that it looked like they had ripped off my Kick Off gfx :) would have loved to have worked on that at the time, however after that came Kick Off and from there I was knee deep in the business and to be honest I don't look on at any other football titles with any degree of jealousy from there.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: RVG Interviews Steve Screech.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 02:24:26 AM »
Very nice.  I've already added it to the Interviews tab... :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 10:54:15 AM »
Superb interview, really enjoyed his answers to my questions, considering I'm not a football fan at all.

Cheers Steve and all involved :113:

Online zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 12:59:34 PM »
Was a pleasure to speak to Steve, another good guy that makes doing these interviews worth while to me.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC