Author Topic: Let's Compare The Goonies  (Read 1004 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Let's Compare The Goonies
« on: September 30, 2014, 02:09:21 AM »
The Goonies is a 1986 platform game based on the film of the same name produced by Konami for the Nintendo Family Computer in Japan. While the game was never officially sold in North America, arcade ports were released there for both the PlayChoice-10 and the Vs. System (coin-operated arcade machines which played NES games). A sequel was released titled The Goonies II and it was later released overseas, outside Japan.

Gameplay:

The player controls Mikey. Mikey defends himself with a kick, bombs (whose explosions are instantly fatal to Mikey if he's hit), and a slingshot (found randomly behind doors). Mikey can find diamonds, restoring his life meter to full if he collects eight. He can also find upgrades that protect him against various hazards such as a firesuit that protects against flames and a set of earmuffs that protect against the music notes cast out by one of the Fratelli brothers...

Source:  Wikipedia

[align=center:2m8096ph]Let's Compare ( The Goonies )[/align:2m8096ph]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
Re: Let's Compare The Goonies
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 14:58:08 PM »
Never played any of the versions or seen the movie. Deprived I guess?

I do like the Famicom and NEC verisons The MSX seems to have some cheap shots. Water drops at the top of your climb! What! Seems unfair considering the speed of the game. The Sharp X1 looks nice but slowdown seems to hinder gameplay.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 15:22:38 PM »
I've never played any of these versions myself, not even the arcade.  The game may not have been very popular since it seems to have only had a few ports.

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 16:50:59 PM »
Upon having a quick look, althought the games are different, they should of included the 8-bit computer version of the game from Datasoft, allowing viewers to have a different take on it and also introducing people to which in my opinion the 8-bit games are better, but for this, I though the the disk Famicon was the best version of this even tho the arcade version is a (NES under the play choice selection) drop kicking rats and dropping bombs didn't even appear in the actual movie, so they got that spot on for a start.

No, if you want a real Goonies experience visit the Atari 8-bit or c64 bit version or get the PC remake here

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 20:25:56 PM »
That's cool.  I didn't know there was a PC remake. 

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 22:06:42 PM »
That PC version looks great!

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 00:21:01 AM »
Glad you fellows liked and enjoyed it, the original classic is always the best. Devilishly hard, yet very addictive, they don't make'em like this no more!.

Offline Lorfarius

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 11:39:49 AM »
Weird, I was playing this just last night on the Famicom!  Fantastic game was never a fan of the sequel but a hell of a lot of fun.

Online zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 18:25:21 PM »
This is another game added to the must play list, i really like the look of all those versions but i think i might look at the MSX version first.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline classicconsolemag

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 04:12:41 AM »
I loved this game as a kid! Spent many hours in front of the TV playing it. As one other posted, it is def. really challenging, but engaging enough where I never got too frustrated and wanted to keep playing it.