Author Topic: RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine  (Read 18814 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 01:40:49 AM »
Quote from: "Greyfox"
Lets hope for the best, isn't that wishful thinking  :21:  I want them to succeed and make a good product.  ;)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline TL

• View Profile
Re: Retro Gaming Magazine
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 19:20:52 PM »
I am equally stunned and disgusted at the same time that a so called "writer" like Sean Baby is getting paid $800 to be part of this  :13:

I wouldn't let him write for a magazine I was involved in even if he paid me, he really is one of the worst gaming journalists ever (and that is saying something!)

After hearing things like this any interest I had in this mag has pretty much ended.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 20:35:14 PM »
Whats wrong with his writing fella? Can't say i have heard much about the guy...then again i just read the reviews and barely form an opinion of anyone across all my mags i buy.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 20:52:04 PM »
Quote from: "zapiy"
Whats wrong with his writing fella? Can't say i have heard much about the guy...then again i just read the reviews and barely form an opinion of anyone across all my mags i buy.

This is the guy who was near enough completely responsible for the Jaguar is not 64-bit Myth.

He also claimed in a review that the Sega 32X version of Doom was better than the Jaguar one, which is made even more laughable by the fact that said 32X version is in fact a gimped port of the Jag's with borders, missing levels and far less lighting effects (among other things).

He also claims on his own website that "the 20 Worst games really would just be 19 Atari Jaguar games and the Atari 2600's god damn E.T."  :29:

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 22:27:27 PM »
Lol..that is hilarious...although he is factually retarded in his information as the whole planet would probably already know, our loyalty to the Jag and 32x is amicable and scary at the same time, you'd swear you made the hardware he was clearly taking the piss on. Absolutely no fanboyism going on at all :21:

And proves one thing, that people(the magazine creators) think like to attach fuckwits like this to stir controversy and rattle cages and has worked a treat here lol.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 22:48:35 PM »
Hmm, I am not sure there intention was to stop people buying the magazine, which is what they have done.

There is a difference between controversy and stupidity.

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 11:04:58 AM »
In other words although they presume he is a talented gaming journalist , I would suspect that know or possible are aware they he has rubbed certain communities up the wrong way with his bias information, and I would guess the way they look at it is "well you can't please everyone" there bound to be haters of these gaming journalists as you have clearly demonstrated.

But its like everything, I used to get lots of issues of Edge magazine, yet they were so f'ing bias is the game was not 100% original, programmed the best way, or dint have graphics or gameplay out of this world, they'd knock it from actually what it really should of received in a general sense, and hated it so much for that, that I got sense and stopped purchasing out right many years ago, but yet its one of the most stylish magazine in production wasted on such bias review work, I won't even download it illegally, they are that bad with their higher than mighty opinions.

So my story at the end of tunnel is, they have this guy on board to write articles which will either upset or enrich, but I reckon they'll upset more the opposite. But you have to take the good with the bad, and besides, as Triverse has said as have I, there business model is far fetched in the ideals of a continued publication. I think it would be suited for one o those E-magazine site you can purchase from, like what retro gamer uses.

So put your pitch folk back in the closet for now  :113:

Offline SnakeEyes

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2013, 11:26:47 AM »
I like Sean Baby, I think some of his articles for cracked are brilliant, especially the UFC related ones.

I think some people may be a bit biased against him because of his hatred for the JAG. I dont agree with a lot of his gaming related stuff but some people are clearly emotionally involved in their dislike for him. He has many people who enjoy his writing.

Yes he is biased against the Jag, but it does work both ways, Take this site foe example, some of the reviews for some of the jags games are hilariously biased in favour of the Jag for example.

Offline SnakeEyes

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2013, 11:39:26 AM »
Quote from: "The Laird"

This is the guy who was near enough completely responsible for the Jaguar is not 64-bit Myth.

He also claimed in a review that the Sega 32X version of Doom was better than the Jaguar one, which is made even more laughable by the fact that said 32X version is in fact a gimped port of the Jag's with borders, missing levels and far less lighting effects (among other things).

He also claims on his own website that "the 20 Worst games really would just be 19 Atari Jaguar games and the Atari 2600's god damn E.T."  :29:

He is obviously taking the piss there though. Its just a bit of exagerration and we all do it.

Many people will list 5 Nintendo consoles in a 5 worst consoles list or list 5 mario games. Everyone does it TBH.

Look at the thread on the 5 worst retro computers on this very Forum, someone on ther listed 5 Amstrad computers shoould be the worst and you thought that was hilarious and even added in another Amstrad computer. How is that any different in all honest.

I love the CPC 464 and I just laughed it off, you can't take things like that personally.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 12:28:46 PM »
There's a very big difference between making a joke on a forum and writing something for a magazine that's read by thousands of people and considered an authority on video games.

As for your comment about the reviews, I don't think I am going to dignify that with a response.

Online Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 17:32:49 PM »
Personally, I think any time you have people reviewing games that they have loved playing for the past 10 or 20 years, that the scores are going to be a little biased. I would agree that some of the review scores on this site are a little high but the same can be said for any site that has fan reviews. It's pretty hard to be impartial when you have such fond memories of playing a game or playing them brings back memories of your childhood.
Just the way it is and I don't see anything wrong with it  :)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2013, 22:46:34 PM »
Reviews are someones opinion and we dont all agree all the time..

I accept everyone is allowed an opinion on a game and therefore we are allowed opinions on the reviewers.  Seems fair. :113:
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline SnakeEyes

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 23:02:22 PM »
Reviews are someones opinion and we dont all agree all the time..

I accept everyone is allowed an opinion on a game and therefore we are allowed opinions on the reviewers.  Seems fair. :113:

I totally agree. People are always slightly biased one way or another. Sean Baby hates on the Jag, This site praises it very highly.

Its bias working both ways and its only opinion. My point was if you want to say how great something is you can't complain if someone else really dislikes it and says so.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 23:09:48 PM »
He showed bias when he constantly said that "the Genesis is inferior to the SNES", which we all know is a bit silly. That isn't so bad, it's just an opinion (albeit a wrong one) but there is a difference between having a bit of bias and being plain wrong and factually incorrect. If Sean Baby was just biased it wouldn't be a problem but he outright lied on many occasions and just made stuff up. You can't expect to be respected as a serious journalist if you can't be factual.

I only gave a couple of examples of stuff he made up, I could find loads more - such as him claiming PS1 Rayman had better graphics than the Jag version when even UbiSoft advertised that the Jag version had twice as many colours on screen and more animation frames. Or him claiming that Jaguar Super Burnout had poor frame rate when it runs at a solid 60 FPS.

Offline SnakeEyes

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 23:35:11 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
He showed bias when he constantly said that "the Genesis is inferior to the SNES", which we all know is a bit silly. That isn't so bad, it's just an opinion (albeit a wrong one) but there is a difference between having a bit of bias and being plain wrong and factually incorrect. If Sean Baby was just biased it wouldn't be a problem but he outright lied on many occasions and just made stuff up. You can't expect to be respected as a serious journalist if you can't be factual.

I only gave a couple of examples of stuff he made up, I could find loads more - such as him claiming PS1 Rayman had better graphics than the Jag version when even UbiSoft advertised that the Jag version had twice as many colours on screen and more animation frames. Or him claiming that Jaguar Super Burnout had poor frame rate when it runs at a solid 60 FPS.

I love the Genesis, but I do think overall its inferior to the Snes. Its just an opinion. As for the rest of the stuff, I can understand why you have a problem with it, I really can. All I was doing was pointing out was that its human nature to lean too far one way or the other and sometimes its just better to accept that some peoples opinions sway to far in one direction and they may convince themselves of something that is not actually there. As in you hate something and you tend to imagine flaws that are not really there because you are looking so hard. Just like someone can try so hard to find good points in something they love that other people think they are blind or making stuff up.

It happens, its human nature.