Author Topic: RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine  (Read 18822 times)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 16:14:19 PM »
I've been watching it.  It has 15 days to go and a little over halfway through.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 16:32:36 PM »
Same as.. Could make it at this rate.. :113:
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 16:49:36 PM »
That's what I'm guessing.  It will likely make it close to the end.  :) 

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 17:53:47 PM »
There is a lot of bias towards this over at RG forums, and not simply because its competition with Retro gamer magazine, but very strong criticism regarding the view of opinion been to much an American perspective, that European readers will feel agitated and it been a one sided from the American aspect, which allot of people feel isn't for them and that is just the magazine content.

Allot of people have issues with article contributors too, based on bias write ups and bias (my way or the highway) opinions and views of certain companies and software that could make it unviable for European readership, and at no point am I in the category of these peoples views or prejudice to this publication, I really like its ideas, but do not like the modern appearance in design, but its great a magazine of this type is been conceived and being produced and may give Retro gamer for the first time a real run for its money as competition, which is a good thing, they've held the crown for too long now..

Will I be backing this kick starter ?   No, as this type of thing would need continuous funding and doing a kick starter may carry them for about 2 to 4 issues, which i feel is being generous, how many copies are they considering or based to sell with this? Serious money to do this continuously, maybe they'll do more than one kick starter needed? But will surely pick it up digitally.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 20:34:51 PM »
Like you I don't get involved in what others think of people. For me if it offers another perspective then I am interested. Having said that, I have not  added my support yet.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 20:46:09 PM »
Sadly, that's how things are going these days in the retro scene.  It seems to be a constant feud and what's supposed to be an enjoyable hobby can become a battlefield.  To make it worse, people just focus on the negative and ignore the positive (to the point that because person X is involved, things are blindly attacked).  I am not familiar with every contributor to this magazine but there are some that I do know that I like.  I'm considering supporting this because of them but, if I do support it, it'll be just digital as well. 

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 21:22:18 PM »
Same as. Happy for digital copies anyway. Stuff I can read at work easily.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 21:32:34 PM »
Quote from: "zapiy"
Same as. Happy for digital copies anyway. Stuff I can read at work easily.

...and that doesn't take up room in the house!   :21:

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 21:34:07 PM »
Which is a premium.

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 22:02:37 PM »
Will give this a miss, the word 'fail' on the cover already put me off! Plus I've bought several american gaming mags in the past and just don't like their style of writing or layout, which kinda sounds anti American, it isn't...their mags do all have the same style, just not for me!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 13:06:19 PM »
I posted this in the kickstarter thread.

I was interested in this until I saw Sean Baby was involved. A guy who, when he wrote for EGM, went on a bitter hateful crusade to bury the Jaguar at every opportunity including claiming that 32X Doom was far superior to the Jag version and was chiefly responsible for starting the Jaguar is not 64-bit (just two 32-bit processors stuck together) lie. Unfortunately EGM was a big magazine at the time and so lots of people actually believed him. I am also slight concerned that this will be very US-centric judging by what I have seen so far. But I will keep an interested eye on it, especially as a retro gaming journalist myself

Offline triverse

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 04:02:23 AM »
Not trying to throw water on their fire but that KS, if successful, won't carry them more than one issue based on staff pay alone.  I know what they are paying their staff and it is not congruent to a successful magazine.

A year ago, I was asked by the founder of Game Gavel, Mike Kennedy, to come on board and help create a gaming site/mag with him and [name omitted upon request].  [name omitted upon request] was brought on for the key point of getting EGM staffers on board and I was apparently to work on bringing on former Gamefan staff (whom I am in contact with most).  That deal fell through.

I do hope they are able to get funding, I love a good bit of competition.  This and Game Cave launching (counting RGM) will make eight magazines covering retro and charging for their content, publishing at the same time.  Will the scene support it?  Who knows. 

From my PR firm, I know the circulation numbers of a lot of the "competition" because I worked with them to promote their stuff, sell ads and bring in new staff over the years (disclaimer, they knew about RGM and my intent to enter the scene- no ninja marketing going on).

Offline dougtitchmarsh

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • http://douglastitchmarsh.com
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 20:19:18 PM »
I took a look, but being American it doesn't appeal to me (Classic American cars, and burgers are great though) I foresee much Nintendo and Pokemon chat. It would also cost more to get a hard copy of it here in the UK which puts me off more (I can't read digital formats it just doesn't feel right).
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 21:23:10 PM »
I backed it as there's a lot of writers contributing to it that I remember from reading game magazines years ago and so I really hope it turns out good, looks like it will be funded at this point too.

That said, I am a little concerned that not enough people outside of the kickstarter will buy this when it's done and they will run out of money long before the initial 6 issues are done. Especially after Triverse's post about how much the payroll for this is going to be! I guess like any kickstarter there is risk involved, but this wasn't very expensive so I'll take the risk and hope for the best  :)