Author Topic: RVG Interviews Simon Phipps.  (Read 10399 times)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
RVG Interviews Simon Phipps.
« on: October 06, 2013, 21:07:16 PM »
[align=center:17nk9cag][/align:17nk9cag]
[align=center:17nk9cag][size=120]
Well here it is our latest interview with Simon Phipps.. I can honestly say that this interview was a real pleasure and i want to say a huge thanks to Simon for not only taking part but also for sharing the images below..

Simon is one of the UK generation of self-taught back-bedroom programmers, who, inspired by arcade Space Invaders, the movie TRON, friends' self-built Sinclair ZX81s and school Commodore PET microcomputers wanted to have a go at making their own games.

His first published game, Jet Power Jack was written whilst was at school.

Other games Simon has worked on include.

Masters of the Universe - The Movie
Switchblade
Night Raider
Rick Dangerous
Thunderhawk
Monty Python's Flying Circus- The Computer Game
Asterix and the Power of the Gods

Simon currently enjoying the privilege of working as a Senior Designer with the amazing Criterion Games. team, having recently completed Need For Speed Most Wanted.

See his website for more.[/size]
[/align:17nk9cag]

[size=110]zapiy

Simon, tell us a little about you and how you got into this industry?

zapiy

What genre of games do you play and any reason why?

zapiy

Favourite game or games?

[align=center:17nk9cag][/align:17nk9cag]

zapiy

Rick Dangerous was one of my favourite games and i still have fond memories of it.. What was it like to create? Did you do the art work for all versions of the game?

[/size]

[align=center:17nk9cag]
[size=100]These sketches I did in the original Rick 2 design doc to illustrate gameplay ideas.[/size][/align:17nk9cag]

[size=80]This is the first 'character sketch' of Rick in his new look - I used this on the front of the Rick 2 design doc and then as reference when I drew the title screen for the game.[/size]

]

[size=80]Two of my Rick sprites.[/size][/align:17nk9cag]

[size=110]

[/size]

[size=80]This is the first ever drawing of Rick - from the day that Terry and I sat down and came up with idea for him.[/size][/align:17nk9cag]

[size=110]

zapiy

Whats been the game you have enjoyed creating the most and why?

zapiy

What do you see as the main differences from working in the industry back when creating games like Rick Dangerous and now when creating games like Need for Speed?

zapiy

Switchblade had good reviews when released, what input did you have in this game overall?

zapiy

Hiro is a great character, was he your idea?

[/size]

[size=80]This is the 'human' sketch I did of Hiro after designing the sprite.[/size]

The finished sprite.[/align:17nk9cag]

[size=110]

The Laird

What was it like to work for Core Design, a company known for both innovation and superb games, when they were in their prime?

The Laird

I see you have worked on quite a few ST games, what were the biggest challenges on that format, especially compared to the rival Amiga?

The Laird

Switchblade, and its sequel, were incredibly well received by the press and hailed as console games on a computer. Was this what you were trying to do when you wrote it?

[/size]

[size=80]This image was scanned (with a hand scanner!) and used in the game - the logo below it was the sketch I did of the logo before I then sat down and worked out how to make the logo animate in the game.[/size][/align:17nk9cag]

[size=110]Rogue Trooper

Not sure if you were involved on the PS3 version, Simon, but i recently bought Goldeneye 007 and whilst from a technical stand point, it was fine, it felt a little too much like COD:Lite.(hope you don't think i'm being too harsh). Now after having seen so many FPS games on this generations consoles getting 'mauled' by the press for not being COD, basically, was it a deliberate design move to make a 007 game that would appeal to the COD crowd, but still remain true to the 007 legend? (and what on earth was up with that last level? found it very frustrating that i could unload my weapon at point blank range into bosses face, but he'd remain touched as it was'nt his time to die yet), so in hindsight, what would you change about the game and why?.

Rogue Trooper

Shadow Man i bought for the Dreamcast despite seeing mixed reviews in DC UK and the official DC Mag (1 loved it, the other not so keen), to this day, despite loving the atmosphere, i just cannot 'gel' with the game. It seems a very slow burner that requires the player to invest time in, would that be a fair comment?.

Also despite the crisp, high res visuals, the N64 origins of the game often seem to hinder level design a little, i found it so easy to get lost in repeated texture generated environments, so had you designed game for DC as base platform, what would you have changed and why?

[/size]

[size=80]My reference for what Saul's human form looked like, again, once I'd got the look right for the sprite.[/size]

[size=80]The finished sprite.[/size]

T[size=80]wo of my pencil drawings that were then scanned for the intro to the original Amiga version of the game.[/size][/align:17nk9cag]

[size=110]Rogue Trooper

Rick Dangerous for the ST, i sooo wanted to love, looked superb, the audio samples had me in stiches, but by god was it frustrating to play, as a result i barely scratched the surface of it and never bought the sequel, was the difficulty level set so high on purpose? If so any reasons why?

Rogue Trooper

Not so much a question, but a statement: Simon, just checked your art work out on your website, loved the Diane's Dream Wedding Invite and Halloween Invite (uber cool stuff), but your Alt.Art just had me gobsmacked!!!. You've clearly got talent and then some and seem apt at what ever style takes your fancy. What's your favourite type of art to draw and do you do any commercially available stuff?

http://simorph.deviantart.com/) and Redbubble (http://www.redbubble.com/people/simorph) and am happy for folks to get in touch about private commissions.

Rogue Trooper

Long shot, but whilst at Core, was there ever talk of Corporation 2 or a reboot of it on more modern hardware?

Rogue Trooper

As an artist, where do you draw (no pun intended) your inspiration from? the world around you? cinema? manga? or all of the above?.

Rogue Trooper

When designing a game, just how much freedom were you given whilst at Core? i.e did you have to submit basic demo type stuff before green light was given or would they just check your progress now and then? Also what if anything was ever 'cut' from your games and why? was it your choice and if not, how did it feel to have something you'd spent time on cast to the cutting room floor?

zapiy

Finally what's your favourite title you have worked on during your career and why?

[/size]

[size=110]zapiy

Thanks for taking the time to talk with us Simon.

Finally i think you will all agree that is one fantastic interview.. Thank to all for taking part.. Especially Simon.[/size]

A Little something from Simon that i think proves all this is worth it.

Thanks fella
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TL

• View Profile
Re: RVG Interviews Simon Phipps.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 22:15:04 PM »
What an utterly fantastic interview, his answers are just superb.

Now I really need to speak with him myself about doing some articles for Retro Gamer.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 22:21:12 PM »
Agreed was an absolute pleasure for me this one.. Great questions and fantastic replies and to have those images that Simon shared with us.. Just wow.. :113:
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 23:54:50 PM »
Wow, fantastic interview! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 00:02:54 AM »
Blimey!!!

What an utter star Simon turned out to be.I never know what sort of response i'm going to get when i post questions, but really been blown away of late on here by Dino's answers and now Simon's  (and the Firebird answers were great as well).

I'm chuffed to buggery that he was so happy to talk about his game development and his art.

Shadow Man started out on PC/Saturn 1st? woah..i'd never have known that!!

Actually bit lost for words that my humble question about where he drew inspiration for his (fantastic looking) art from, had such an effect on him.

What a star.What a great site for gving us the chance to put questions to such people.

If anyone speaks to him soon on here, please give him my heartfelt thanks for taking time to answer the great questions everyone put to him, in such a detailed manner.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 00:07:38 AM »
If I get my way RT this won't be the last you hear of him . . . . .

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 19:20:31 PM »
Another great interview guys, thanks  :)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 23:03:02 PM »
Do you want his details Kieren?

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 23:03:57 PM »
Quote from: "zapiy"
Do you want his details Kieren?

Yeah I will get them off you.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 00:06:20 AM »
Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"
Blimey!!!

What an utter star Simon turned out to be.I never know what sort of response i'm going to get when i post questions, but really been blown away of late on here by Dino's answers and now Simon's  (and the Firebird answers were great as well).

I'm chuffed to buggery that he was so happy to talk about his game development and his art.

Shadow Man started out on PC/Saturn 1st? woah..i'd never have known that!!

Actually bit lost for words that my humble question about where he drew inspiration for his (fantastic looking) art from, had such an effect on him.

What a star.What a great site for gving us the chance to put questions to such people.

If anyone speaks to him soon on here, please give him my heartfelt thanks for taking time to answer the great questions everyone put to him, in such a detailed manner.

I passed you thanks on fella.

I like you was amazed by the art work and to have some exclusive art to so of here. Well that's the icing on the cake.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 18:09:00 PM »
Just recieved this from Simon in the post and i am totally blown away with it.. Its going in a frame on my wall.

Makes me feel like this really is worth it and the message at the back is for us all.

Thanks Simon.

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 19:02:46 PM »
Now that's very cool, definitely deserves to be on your wall!

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 20:58:41 PM »
Oh that is just fantastic! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 21:02:25 PM »
Yes love that! Very lucky!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 21:42:37 PM »
Yeah i was gobsmacked when i found it in a package i purchased of Simon (Megadrive stuff).. Proper nice gesture. :113: