Author Topic: Hardest games you've played  (Read 4789 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: Hardest games you've played
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2017, 00:33:49 AM »
Then, I'm glad to have awoken it! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2017, 09:38:10 AM »
...Some of the most difficult games for me are the R-Type, Gradius, and Thunder Force style shoot-'em-ups. ...

The 4th level of R-Type has been a brick wall for me over the years. Perhaps I'm just crap at it rather than it being too difficult lol.
It has saved me buying the 2nd Hucard for PC Engine though. Maybe its a mental block to save me money.

Offline wyldephang

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2017, 16:28:50 PM »
You can still buy the game even though you suspect you'll never finish it. ;) Most of the shoot-'em-up games I own will never be completed by me in my lifetime, but I do like to collect them. Games like Hellfire and Wings of Wor--forget about it! Now that I think about it, I realized I left out several Genesis/Mega Drive games that are quite difficult, like X-Men and Sub-Terrania, but neglected to mention in my post. I think it's just an expectation for any Genesis owner: Many of these games were based on the tried-and-true arcade formula of making the game difficult to keep the quarters flowing. If I get flattened by a mini-boss halfway through a level and have to start from the beginning, I hardly give it a second thought because I'm expecting it to happen anyway. As someone said earlier, repetition is the key to conquering these games. The more you play, the more you learn from your mistakes and it elevates your play.
- Ryan

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2017, 21:58:12 PM »
Yes! Hellfire is one of my all time favourite Mega Drive games. I've managed to reach the second loop but not much more. That was with a lot of attempts and practice though, doubt I could achieve it these days. Its an awesome game.
Gynoug (Wings of Wor) is another brilliant game. Two very good shouts there.

I had a thing for playing more modern bullet hell shooters a few years ago, particularly Giga Wing II on the Dreamcast. Thats a mental game thats hard as nails.
Psyvariar 2 was another one. Great risk and reward mechanic that made you play like a nutter for high scores.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2017, 01:17:44 AM »
I love shoot'em ups myself but I have no hope of ever finishing them!  There is something cathartic about shooting everying in sight, though.  LOL

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2017, 02:03:10 AM »
Yeah that's how I am too. I love playing them but I'll never see the end of the game without using cheat codes!

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2017, 08:49:52 AM »
I guess there are two camps when it comes to shooters. This would extend to any genre but I'll stick with shooters as an example.
  • Skill and gratification in trying to 1CC or 1LC a game. I'd put games like Hellfire, R-Type, Cybernator, Raiden etc in this bracket. There is a running story and the achievement comes from beating the bosses and advancing stages.
  • Skill and gratification in trying to acheive a high score using game mechanics and chain multipliers etc. Stuff like DoDonPachi, GigaWing 2, Psyvariar 2, even Galaga etc fall into this bracket. Not too fussed about how far you get as long as you improve on your last score!
Clearly this can be elaborated on and there's elements of crossover, but you get my point lol.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2017, 12:11:34 PM »
I agree with that.  Either way, each player has their own sense of accomplishment.  :)

Offline Vadergb

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2017, 19:17:34 PM »
...Some of the most difficult games for me are the R-Type, Gradius, and Thunder Force style shoot-'em-ups. ...

The 4th level of R-Type has been a brick wall for me over the years. Perhaps I'm just crap at it rather than it being too difficult lol.
It has saved me buying the 2nd Hucard for PC Engine though. Maybe its a mental block to save me money.

Ive got the 2nd Rtype HUCard and its a waste of time (imho) without using a code from completing the first part.

I have done level 4 but its tough on most of the conversions and the arcade original. Whenever I play a highscore challenge I can usually get to that level without any fuss then its a game of attrition to beat it.

Alot of shooters are nearly impossible later on one you loose your power ups or you die in the wrong place. I'm looking at the Gradius series especially.  ;D