The Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Thread

Started by dcultrapro, August 28, 2012, 13:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcultrapro

I am genuinely after suggestions for what are the must have games for the Mega Drive as I may look to buy, so please read on :)
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

How in living hell do you not own Streets Of Rage 2?  ???

In my opinion the best game you own is Golden Axe.

dcultrapro

hmm... Pretty sure I owned Streets Of Rage 2 when I originally had the Mega Drive, bear in mind this collection now has been brought back since about 2004, I sold all my original stuff in 1998 to buy games for my saturn and a second hand ps1... I know, unforgivable lol

I did like Streets of Rage 2 though it did frustrate me slightly. Must admit I never saw Toe Jam and Earl, is that actually any good? I have Wonderboy and the Dragons trap on Master System, is that the same?

"EDIT" hey, pretty sure I'm not going nuts, Wonderboy 3 was only on Master System right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Boy ... gon's_Trap

which I have ;)
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

Quote from: "dcultrapro"hmm... Pretty sure I owned Streets Of Rage 2 when I originally had the Mega Drive, bear in mind this collection now has been brought back since about 2004, I sold all my original stuff in 1998 to buy games for my saturn and a second hand ps1... I know, unforgivable lol

I did like Streets of Rage 2 though it did frustrate me slightly. Must admit I never saw Toe Jam and Earl, is that actually any good? I have Wonderboy and the Dragons trap on Master System, is that the same?

"EDIT" hey, pretty sure I'm not going nuts, Wonderboy 3 was only on Master System right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Boy ... gon's_Trap

which I have ;)

Toe Jam & Earl is one of the greatest and most original games ever made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x9pBTmPEqY

Wonderboy 3 on the Mega Drive is a totally different game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBuOeb4Bmw8

dcultrapro

oh right, cool, I didn't realise there was a version on Mega Drive, thats pretty awesome. Have you played it personally? I had a look at Toe Jam and Earl, looks cool.

anyone else got any other suggestions?
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

Quote from: "dcultrapro"oh right, cool, I didn't realise there was a version on Mega Drive, thats pretty awesome. Have you played it personally? I had a look at Toe Jam and Earl, looks cool.

anyone else got any other suggestions?

I own it, hence why I recommended it  ;D

I could probably recommend 10 more games that you don't have with ease!!!!

dcultrapro

you own it? wow, isn't it like, an RPG or platformer? which I seem to recall you hating? lol
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

Quote from: "dcultrapro"you own it? wow, isn't it like, an RPG or platformer? which I seem to recall you hating? lol

It's one of the VERY few platformers I like! That's how good it is!!!!  8)

dcultrapro

wow, thats impressive lol, might try it out. only problem with these games is finding them at a reasonable price

I saw mercs on ebay for Master System and Mega Drive, MS is cheaper, might watch out for it, I need to go back to car boots etc to find some proper deals lol
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

Quote from: "dcultrapro"wow, thats impressive lol, might try it out. only problem with these games is finding them at a reasonable price

I saw mercs on ebay for Master System and Mega Drive, MS is cheaper, might watch out for it, I need to go back to car boots etc to find some proper deals lol

Both Mercs and Wonderboy III are very common so should be able to be picked up for less than a fiver.

dcultrapro

mercs isn't too bad but wonderboy at the moment is expensive, a full one is a tenner + P+P and a cart is 7.99 on ebay lol, I'll keep looking

meantime, feel free to list the others you mentioned you could suggest lol

I wanna get the Mega Drive E-swat version, the SMS one I have is a bit poo
Ultrapro on xbox live

tomwaits

Ghouls n Ghosts is probably my personal favorite of the games you have so far.

But, it's easy to list dozens of quality games that you're missing... first 5 that I thought of: Alien Soldier, Gunstar Heroes, Thunder Force 3, Shinobi 3, Streets of Rage 2.

TL

Shadow Dancer
Super Fantasy Zone
Granada
Crackdown
Gynoug
Mazin Wars
Bio Hazard Battle
Mega Turrican
Red Zone
Zero Tolerance
Dick Tracy
Forgotten Worlds
Rambo III
Thnderforce II, III & IV
Rolling Thunder II
Splatterhouse 2
Empire Of Steel
Smash TV
Predator 2
Robocop Vs. Terminator
Xenon 2
The Punisher

tomwaits

And... there are a couple dozen. ;)

dcultrapro

what game was it I saw recently where a character or robot had to fly around a map and find enemy points/locations etc, can't remember which one it was

I'm definitely tempted to look into the following:

(I have the SMS versions of Xenon 2 and Rambo 3)

Mega Turrican
Shadow Dancer
Zero Tollerance (wow FPS??)
the punisher

theres a few others I wanna look into, is Battletech any good? I saw a vid of that and the graphics look excellent
Ultrapro on xbox live