Let's Compare: Road Blasters

Started by TL, January 18, 2013, 21:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

TrekMD

Pretty good conversions for the most part.  The Lynx, as always, does a great job.  The MD version looks awesome, though!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Rogue Trooper

Sticking with 8 Bit Micros on this one:

My god, C64 version is worse than i remember (and to think i bought this).

CPC version impressed, colourful, has sound FX, seems like good use of hardware.

Speccy version none too shabby either.

TL

The 8-bit versions:

The Amstrad version looks nice but boy is it slow! The Spectrum version is ok, except for lack of colour. That C64 version is abysmal. NES version looks totally wrong, the angle is too high up - don't like it at all.

The 16-bit versions:

Atari ST version looks excellent, very close to the arcade game except the car seems a bit too wide but that could be a fault of the emu having the wrong aspect ratio. The Amiga version is identical except for some reason they added music, why? The arcade game didn't have music so neither should the home versions. The Lynx version is a big favourite of mine, absolutely arcade perfect from the look right down to the speech (only version to have it!). I was bloody impressed by how close the Mega Drive version is too, I want to get this now!

108 Stars

Actually all seemed fairly decent to me. Not like I would want to play them all, but I've seen much worse on the 8-bit computers as far as arcade ports go. The C64 version suffers from the usual depressing color palette, and the CPC version is a bit choppy; the Spectrum version seems nice and green.

The NES version got the perspective wrong, it seems like the camera is too high and too far away.

The Lynx version is very well done, and the MD version seems very close to the arcade.
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "108 Stars"Actually all seemed fairly decent to me. Not like I would want to play them all, but I've seen much worse on the 8-bit computers as far as arcade ports go. The C64 version suffers from the usual depressing color palette, and the CPC version is a bit choppy; the Spectrum version seems nice and green.

The NES version got the perspective wrong, it seems like the camera is too high and too far away.

The Lynx version is very well done, and the MD version seems very close to the arcade.

The C64 version to myself, always felt very 'empty', missing any spark of excitement, think had it been given toi a better team to convert, more could have been done with it.

onthinice

Thanks for posting this. I have never seen it played. I have the box(no game) for the Nes version. If I ever get a copy it will be for the Lynx. :) :

108 Stars

Quote from: "onthinice"Thanks for posting this. I have never seen it played. I have the box(no game) for the Nes version. If I ever get a copy it will be for the Lynx. :P
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

TrekMD

Quote from: "108 Stars"
Quote from: "onthinice"Thanks for posting this. I have never seen it played. I have the box(no game) for the Nes version. If I ever get a copy it will be for the Lynx. :P

That sounds like an odd couple, if ever I heard of one!  LOL

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

LOL! Does any have an extra set of instructions? Then it will be truly complete! ???

TL

Quote from: "onthinice"LOL! Does any have an extra set of instructions? Then it will be truly complete! ???

From the Mega Drive version?

onthinice

I was hoping for the Nes version.

Rogue Trooper

Speaking of Roadblasters, anyone ever try Highway Hawks on Amiga? blatant Road Blasters clone, but looks ok.