Mini Game Consoles: Collectible or Junk?

Started by TrekMD, August 19, 2019, 02:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

I just watched this video and wanted to share it, given all of these that are being released...

As video game collecting becomes more mainstream, the products associated with gaming adapt to a changing market.  In this video, John Hancock discusses the value of mini game consoles and shares his opinion of what they offer.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

poundlander

Any mini console that doesn't allow you to play ROMs or carts is a horribly useless trinket.  Worse, if they succeed then we'll have more artificially restricted new hardware in the future.  As old hardware dies new fully capable hardware needs to come forth.

I guess my boycott of restricted mini consoles also depends on the ease of hacking to make them run additional games.  I did buy that PSX mini.
Please check out my party favors at https://theloon.itch.io/
Downloadable Atari 2600 games such as Upp Plus Plus, Nitebear on Sleepystreet, Stranglehand and more!

TrekMD

That's why I'm considering the Phoenix.  It is new hardware that is compatible with old games but using the carts and/or ROM files.  Since it will have added compatibility, seems like a good idea to get one.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

DeadVoivod

Quote from: poundlander on August 28, 2019, 19:24:00 PM
Any mini console that doesn't allow you to play ROMs or carts is a horribly useless trinket.  Worse, if they succeed then we'll have more artificially restricted new hardware in the future.  As old hardware dies new fully capable hardware needs to come forth.

I guess my boycott of restricted mini consoles also depends on the ease of hacking to make them run additional games.  I did buy that PSX mini.

Exactly my thoughts. Plus I also have the PS Classic, and none other.