The Fairchild Channel F

Started by TrekMD, July 30, 2019, 03:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

I noticed that we don't have a thread on the Fairchild Channel F, so I thought I'd start one.  I never had this console but it does have a following with some interesting homebrew games.  Did anyone have this system?

The Fairchild Channel F, F for Fun, is a second-generation home video game console that was released by Fairchild Semiconductor in November 1976 across North America at a retail price of $169.95. It was also released in Japan in October the following year. It has the distinction of being the first programmable ROM cartridgeâ€"based video game console, and the first console to use a microprocessor. It was originally named Video Entertainment System, or VES, but when Atari released its VCS the next year, Fairchild changed the name for its machine, although they continued to use the old name alongside it. By 1977, the Fairchild Channel F had sold about 250,000 units, trailing behind sales of the VCS.

Excerpt from Wikipedia

Here are two videos looking at the system:

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Dreamcast Gamer

I've actually found sealed Channel F games for sale on eBay, but never the console itself :D.  I would love to at least try one out someday since I don't think there's any emulation scene for it.

TrekMD

Hmm, I don't know if there are emulators for it.  I wonder since people do make videos of the games and usually emulators are used to do that. 

TrekMD

This is a newer video looking at the story of this system.  It was posted by Atari Archive...

poundlander

I have one.  The joystick was too awkward for me.  Stays on the shelf.
Please check out my party favors at https://theloon.itch.io/
Downloadable Atari 2600 games such as Upp Plus Plus, Nitebear on Sleepystreet, Stranglehand and more!

TrekMD

I don't think I ever saw this system back then.  I did not learn of its existence until the 2000's!