New ZX Spectrum 128K game: SOPHIA II

Started by Corporal Jonlan, February 09, 2019, 14:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corporal Jonlan

Hi fellas!

Here is the second chapter of the princess-magician's story: Sophia II.

Two years have passed since Sophia defeated the evil sorcerer Yojar. The Emperor named her Princess, and her land became the autonomous Principality of Xixerella. Under her wise rule, the small region has become a haven of peace, prosperity and tolerance. But something obscure has already set its eyes upon it... Once again, Sophia, as the champion of her people, must face overwhelming perils and use every knowledge and skill she possesses, in order to defeat the new menace!

The game is essentially an enhanced remake of Matthew Smith's first title, Styx, which ran on the 16K Spectrum. And like Styx, it is divided into three parts. Each one of these is larger than the levels of Sophia, thus the two games are roughly the same size. However, while in Sophia the player's action did not vary across the levels, in Sophia II the action will be different:
  • The first part, like in Styx, is a dungeon populated by monsters, which exit is guarded by the Spider Queen.
  • The second, again like in Styx, is an underwater maze, with a boss invented by me at the end, the Giant Seahorse (Styx had no final enemy at this stage).
  • Finally, in the third level, the player must reach the top of a tower, where the Grim Reaper, like in Styx, awaits.
Another difference with Sophia is that, in the best tradition of historical Spectrum games, the soundtrack is entirely composed with renditions of pieces of classical music, while in the previous game it was based upon folk tunes, with the exception of W.A. Mozart's Dies Irae for the final level.

Thanks to the efforts of Ersh and Bedazzle, game and documentation will be available in eight languages right from the start!

And now some technical details:
  • This is the first time I employed AGD 4.7X (version 4Ke), albeit for just about 5% of the total work on the game proper. I also included a couple of scripts by Allan Turvey in order to avoid some occasional flicker to white of the colored sprites, and to add more graphical detail to the third level, including conveyor belts.
  • Graphic design for the dungeon was inspired by Binman's excellent work for Ghost Castle, while the bones were based on a graphic found in Gauntlet.
  • For the second time - first one was in Seto Taisho Vs Yokai - there are not one, but two endings, although the second one is not hidden (i.e. you have to perform a certain action in order to access it), but can be chosen right from the Options menu through the difficulty level - another feature I implemented for the second time, after having introduced it in Apulija-13 V2.0.
  • I Improved AGD's native script for moving platforms, because it had the occasional tendency to let the player sprite "slip" through them in certain, albeit rare, occasions.
  • The TR-DOS loading routines have been totally rewritten by employing the shadow ROM's system call to $3D13, thus allowing for smaller and faster code. I also had to find a way to make the disk versions compatible with the Brazilian clones of the Beta Disk 128 interface. After perusing the CBI-24's user manual, and some experimentation, I managed to do it.
But above all - I hope you will enjoy the new chapter of Sophia's adventures!

And if so, please vote for it in the ZX-Dev remakes competition  ;)

Download
Author of several Spectrum games, a fast tape loading scheme and the Spectrumpedia.

zapiy

Looks awesome fella.

Have you seen Bitmap Soft?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Corporal Jonlan

Thanks Zapiy!

To be honest I didn't know about Bitmap, but I found and read more information on this forum.

Good luck with your project  ;D  Do you plan to cover the Spectrum as well?
Author of several Spectrum games, a fast tape loading scheme and the Spectrumpedia.

zapiy

We will be, a Spectrum game will be our 2nd physical release.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Corporal Jonlan

More news ahead!

Sophia II has been updated to version 1.01. Changes for this version are:

• All objects in the game glow (additional code by Allan Turvey).
  • A bug of the random placement of the amulets in level 2 has been corrected; in some cases, an amulet could be found partially behind a rock.
  • Some screens in level 2 have been slightly retouched.

zapiy

Awesome bud, will grab the latest version.

Corporal Jonlan

Hi everybody,

a new 1.02 version has been released today and can be downloaded from the link in the first post as usual.

What's new:

The sprites for Sophia in level 2 have been modified. We now have a swimming Sophia  ;)

zapiy

Awesome work fella. Thanks for the update.

Corporal Jonlan

Hi folks,

some time ago I made a "silent update" to V1.02 to correct the "ULA Plus bug", a fault in AGD which caused the game to display false colors under certain configurations, e.g. the ZX Vega. It seems the update interfered with the game ending scenes code, preventing them to be displayed as intended. I fixed the issue, but you should download the package again. The fixed files can be recognized from the 22.01.2020 timestamp.

The problem only affects the .TZX and .TAP files, the TR-DOS disk image files are fine.

Sorry for the inconvenience  :-\

zapiy

Nice one bud.

I’ll have a play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corporal Jonlan

Hi everyone, Sophia II gets a new edition under the Zankle Soft label and a physical release from Bitmap Soft.

The latter also includes an exclusive bonus level especially made for it.

Links:

https://zanklesoft.itch.io/sophia-ii

https://www.bitmapsoft.co.uk/product/sophia-zx-spectrum-128k