Latest Retro Purchases (Games or Hardware)

Started by zapiy, October 21, 2011, 08:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Cool stuff guys! So does the 32X version of Doom have more levels?

TrekMD

Nice stuff! So, those versions of Doom are adapted from other systems for the Jaguar, right?

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Saturn

The 32X version of DOOM was a port of the Jaguar version, which was the first port from PC lol. So, basically it's a port of the port it was ported from-after that port was ported from the PC
32X Doom only has 17 levels compared to the Jag's 24. The map data was similar for each with only a few differences that I 'patched' up on the fly in order to make it work. Took about 8 hours to convert and hack them into the rom. The Jag's version is more complex and still the better of the two but it was cool to technically be able to play Sega on Jaguar 8)

The Saturn Levels are user made maps that fall within the Jaguar's ability to load and run without a massive amount of editing. Some of what I've found are so freakin huge they'd NEVER even load, let alone be playable. And the editing would take ages, adding walls and doors to minimize areas to be enclosed enough to play. At one point I contemplated attempting to edit a single huge map that would take up all the Jaguar Doom ROM's map data space and release it as one hell of a single, overly complicated, incredibly huge map... but declined once reality set in and I realized how much time would be invested.

Great stuff though! Now I have enough cart labels to double the amount of ROMs already in existence onto real carts.

TrekMD

TrekMD

I have a special retro purchase here.  You see, I had a the binary for Activision's Sequest hacked to turn it into seaQuest DSV (it's just a visual hack) and then I had Greyfox help me get the image for the label cleaned up so I could  have the label made.  I sent this to Albert over at Atari Age who made the cart for me.  So, this is a rather unique cart for that reason.  :)

Saturn

Quote from: TrekMD on March 19, 2018, 01:10:00 AM
I have a special retro purchase here.  You see, I had a the binary for Activision's Sequest hacked to turn it into seaQuest DSV (it's just a visual hack) and then I had Greyfox help me get the image for the label cleaned up so I could  have the label made.  I sent this to Albert over at Atari Age who made the cart for me.  So, this is a rather unique cart for that reason.  :)

THAT is amazing! Congrats on all the work and effort to end up with the unique item. Man, that's a great feeling 8) 8) 8)

TrekMD

Saturn

Awesome, I remember that. Glad you were able to go all out and make it into a one of a kind like that.
Great stuff..

Shadowrunner

TrekMD

OK, I have a mixed of things for today.  Some are purchases, Kickstarter games and some are from a Junk Box...

Purchases & Kickstarter

Junk Box

Saturn

Nice lot. Twin Dragons caught my eye 8) 8)
Some great additions there!

TrekMD

I love dragons, so I couldn't say no to that Kickstarter.  :)

Saturn

What is the last photo of?
Not showing up for me.

TrekMD

Four 2600 games:  Gopher, Plaque Attack, Cosmic Ark, and Broadside (a hack of Combat that takes place at sea).

Saturn

That's awesome. You have an AMAZING collection so always enjoy checking out new additions 8)