Author Topic: Starpath's The Official Frogger  (Read 268 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Starpath's The Official Frogger
« on: December 01, 2018, 21:21:45 PM »
So, I've been listening to podcasters talk about this game and they all say the same thing, that this version of Frogger for the 2600 is only "a little" better than the Parker Brothers version.  I'm not sure what they are looking at when they look at this game and play it because it is more than just "a little" better from my perspective.  I figured I'd start a thread about it to see what others think.  Here are two images and videos of the games:

Parker Brothers Frogger

Starpath Frogger

Some of the visual differences I see:
1.  Most sprites are made using two colors in the Starpath version.  Parker Brothers only used single color sprites.
2.  There is more detail in all the vehicles in the Starpath version.  The cars have tires that are different in color than the car body.  Even the trucks have two colors. When the plays, there's animation in the treads for the bulldozers also, something that is entirely missing on the Parker Brothers version.
3.  There is more detail in the grass and the river characters.  The riverbed is done is two colors.  The logs have more detail and even two shades of brown.  The turtles look more like turtles as they have a recognizable head and their legs are in a different color.  These are also animated as the turtles swim along the river.  In the Parker version they are nothing more than ovals.  The alligator is more detailed as well in the Starpath version.
4. The frog has animation when it moves in the Starpath version. It even has eyes (or eye holes), something lacking in the Parker version.   

Besides the visual differences there are these:
1.  The Starpath version is complete as it includes the otter.  Not even the just released Froggie for the 7800 contains the otter and there is no other home version that does.
2.  There is music through the entire game, again something the Parker Brothers version is missing and many home version do as well.
3.  The sound effects are more arcade accurate on the Starpath version as well.

So, are these just small differences that would make the Starpath version just "a little" better?  Or am I missing something. Even the Video Game Critic, who normally is pretty hard on games he reviews, says the Starpath version blows the Parker Brother out of the water.  To me Starpath created what is one of the best home versions of the game.  I'm not saying that the Parker Brothers version is bad, because it isn't.  It plays quite well but Starpath did a great job with their version. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Starpath's The Official Frogger
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 00:45:54 AM »
There is a huge difference, refined graphics for a start, nicer pixels, more colourful.. Not sure what people are seeing to say there is little difference.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Online Saturn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://jaysmith2000.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=c827a7b611daaaf555722b332b1b9a2c&act=idx
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 00:50:25 AM »
Starpath looks amazing!!

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 04:21:19 AM »
Well, that was my impression as well so not sure why I've heard three different podcasters downplay it by saying that the Starpath version is only a little bit better than the Parker Bros.  And that is exactly what they've said, all three of them!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 10:31:28 AM »
Well I would like them to come on here and explain what makes them say that. I am simply not seeing it like they are.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC