Atari : A Visual History Book

Started by Greyfox, November 12, 2018, 11:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyfox

Hello everybody,

I had decided that I had given the Atari community some great products to enjoy over the last few years and decided I wouldn't produce anymore Atari content in the near future, but recently had seen some products that completely fitted the bill for me in a direction I wanted to go in, now for quite some time and have now returned and began work on a new book publication I am very passionate about. This had to be done because of the complete lack of Atari 8-bit computer coverage out there and its incredible software library, so with that, I present to you all a new Atari publication in the works.

The Sales Pitch

The book will be to cover a huge majority of classic third-party Atari 8-bit software titles from such amazing software houses like Datasoft, Broderbund, First Star Software, English Software and many more plus a selection of commercial homebrew games giving these games the exposure in a visual compendium manner

The Book will also deliver a selection of Interviews with Game designers who worked on the Atari 8-bit computers and other unannounced additions to the book that you will see when it is released. I will also be profiling three Atari 8-bit machines for inclusion inside the book, these will be the Atari 800 - Atari 800XL and the Atari 130XE home computers with additional photography of these computers throughout the book as well and a choice selection of Atari related Peripherals.

I aim to be taking the product to a crowdfunding platform in order to help this publication to become a physical book for all Atari 8-bit fans and vintage computer enthusiasts that share an interest in the Atari 8-bit Home computer and its software. I also promise to deliver some fantastic Atari Visual History only perks too, so there will be lots to choose from.

The Book Previews

When creating something like this, I am all about the visuals of a product and want to give the best experience to the reader when glazing upon these wonderful pieces of art, code and gameplay merging into one exciting showcase, with that each game covered in the book with include on the left a remastered image of the Box or cassette inlay artwork with a 200-215 words write-up about the game and a single screenshot of the game in action.

I have chosen not to include any Offical Atari-branded games in the book due to an actioning against the publication with a possible Cease and Desist violation order from Atari Inc. that could prevent the book being released and will be produced under a fair usage and investigative journalistic manner allowing this to be successful as an Unofficial Visual History of the Atari 8-bit book. This was something I decided I would do after what Atari had placed against Marc Oberhäuser and his Atari related publication. So please enjoy the previews of the some of the games that will be included in the book.

How can YOU help?

I decided who better to make this truly happen then the Atari community itself? I am looking for contributors to the book, whether it be a contributing game review of 215 words for games that will be included in the finished book and have your name credited and mentioned in the contributors section of the book, I wanted to open end this project to my fellow Atarians to help produce the best Atari 8-bit publication ever created.

I wish to personally thank you all for your time here, and hopefully, we can make history with this book, I truly wish to go all out in a blaze of glory with this publication and with your help? we can. So please get in touch with me via PM here @ Retro Video Gamer,  if you want to help with this project and all who participate will be included within the book on the main contributor index.

Please visit us @ www.greyfoxbooks.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/greyfoxbooks
Twitter: @greyfoxbooks

and sign up for the Newsletter at the bottom of the websites holding page to be informed when this fantastic event goes live on Kickstarter.

Thanks, everyone for your support so far.

Kind regards,
Darren.

Atari Gamer Magazine Series
www.AtariGamer.co.uk

TrekMD

I already have a list of games I'll be writing reviews for.  When do you need these by?

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Greyfox

Many thanks @TrekMD

As soon as you have them done, The way in which these are reviewed is slightly different to a regular review in the book, I want as much emotional state shining through the reviews or humour when possible, the game reviews are all about the nostalgia rather than how you play them. I also try to mention the creators of the game in there, the word count should be no more than 220 words, an example of what I mean:

Extraction from Artworx's Strip Poker review:

"The AI in this game was cleverer than I expected or should I say my Father did, what would be more embarrassing? that your wife finds out that you own the game or find you in nothing more than a pair of underpants in front of a computer screen?. "

you see the humour? the reviews must be relaxed as much as possible, it's all about your experience rather than the generic format.

Cheers Eugenio, really looking forward to what you come up and I am delighted to proudly place your name on the list on fantastic contributors in the book.

Kind regards

Darren.

TrekMD

Alright, I'll start to work on these and get them to you ASAP.  I'll see how I can make these different from the norm.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Greyfox

Cheers , that would be wonderful, the idea of the book is to bring a smile to the readers face, something I feel is not done well these days, it's all about the hard knowledge factor, although I've researched to the best of my ability to bring 100% correct content to the book, I also feel it should be both knowledgeable and pleasant to read at the same time. So it there is a joke that can be fit in, then go right ahead ;)

Darren.

zapiy

Please all register on greyfoxbooks.com we have been working hard in the site, hope you like it.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Greyfox

Thanks for the shout out pal. Really appreciate it  8)

It's all coming along spectacularly :)