Why do you keep retroing?

Started by zapiy, September 18, 2018, 09:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Great replies lads, that is another good point, the journey to play on systems I’ve never play on is a big draw too.  For the most part, these systems are as expensive now as they was back in the day so I am still limited but there is a thrill in maybe finding that one bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

AmigaJay

Thats the big issue, whilst ‘we’ always want retro to become more popular so we get new games in the retro style, new games for retro machines, magazines etc the opposite effect of making old retro machines and games extremely expensive nowadays, its forcing alot of people into emulation even if they didnt really want to, as you say some of this stuff is more expensive now than when it came out!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

Good point, I have 3 Sega 32X addons, one of which it boxed, I paid around £100 for them all about 12 years ago, now they are probably worth 5 times that, even some of my 32X games are probably worth more that what I paid for all three machines, sign of the times I guess, probably confirms your statement fella.. pushes people into Emulators.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

demongene

Sick of paying 60 dollars for a game only to spend another 30 for dlc!!! It get very old and expensive.

TrekMD

Quote from: demongene on October 07, 2018, 14:16:29 PM
Sick of paying 60 dollars for a game only to spend another 30 for dlc!!! It get very old and expensive.

Good reason!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

davyk

There are a few reasons.

Older games are what some would say are simpler. For me it really means they aren't time sink games. I Only have the time and inclination for pick up and play content. And while that can be obtained on new consoles there's a lot more of it on older ones.

I like collecting. Modern games aren't very collectable. The box art is uninspiring and attractive game manuals are vanishing. Also a game on a disc isn't very interesting is these days of standardisation. When every console looked different , had different controllers and media etc. it was more interesting.

DLC and online - older games don't need this.

There's nostalgia too - but not so much for me. I'll only play a game if I still find it enjoyable to play. Old graphics don't put me off as long as the design is solid. Nostalgia alone won't really cut it for me.

Same room multiplayer. Most modern games don't deliver this.

Replay value. A lot of modern games are "won and done" affairs. Doesn't appeal to me. A lot more games on older consoles are not like that.

Design aesthetic - too many modern games try to look like the real world. I can get that looking out the window. I want video games to look like video games. And older games do that.

onthinice

For me it is game diversity and competition. So many games and choices from retro consoles.

The Nintendo Entertainment System is a great example. The NES had to be different from the Sega Genesis or Turbo Graphics-16.

The NES had games like Wall Street Kid where you bought and sold stocks. Genghis Khan let you conquer the world. Plenty of arcade choices. Sports games, so many choices. You were not stuck with one franchise but had many competing for your dollars. The NES also had watered down versions of two of my favorites that I played on the Commodore 64. Pirates and The Three Stooges. Point is that the games were available without floppy disk load times.

Later Sega did the same with the Genesis with ports of Buck Rodgers and Centurion Defender of Rome. American football was not limited to just Madden. Joe Montana, NFL Quarterback Club and my favorite Mutant League Football. I can't forget to mention Road Rash. It would be great to have an update of that classic.

When the 16-bit era hit, I was lucky to be a working teenager and young adult. I bought the Genesis, Super Nintendo and TG-16 new. Each had a different line-up of games that were unique to the system. Each had a platform game  pack-in. But Bonk, Mario and Sonic were different enough in gameplay to make me want to own each.

Just do not see that with modern consoles.

TrekMD

Greyfox

For myself, it's generally via emulation for my retro gaming hits, but I'm still to this very day discovering all new and exciting games, either on consoles or arcade games which keeps me hanging for more, I also stay in tune with the scene because if the commercial work I'm doing also, its more for me about the preservation of this medium and this is why I'm doing the products I'm working on now. But Personally, I don't think that will ever die for me, that time period was the best time of my being and one regardless of how old I get will be forever etched in my psychic.

Doesn't matter what console was better than this or that, or computer that was superior etc. For me always that smile that comes across your face and that warm sensation you remember when you first laid eyes that mindblowing game, this is why I jeep retroing 👍

zapiy

Like Davy says, Nostalgia is a huge part of it, in fact i have purchased stuff on that basis and never powered it up before. I also agree with onthinice, the systems these days are more or less the same with a different badge, just don't see consoles released like they used to be but the market is big enough to accomodate more.

HomerRamone2084

A lot of the attraction I think is because games these days have gone a little stale.
Not just because of microtransactions I don't think but also because developers dont want to take risks.
Release another incarnation of the same game or try something new. If the something now doesnt hit the spot then it doesnt cover costs. And shareholders are not happy.

Additionally I think theres way too much focus on making it bigger and prettier than the last one - before worrying about fun factor !

WRT to emulation not being true retro - I dont see why. Emulation is just a way to play it because either the original hardware is hard to find or prohibitively expensive or as has already been mentioned you can only dedicate so much space to hobbies !
Dont see why it matters how you retro - however it works for you. Just as long as you have fun !!

TrekMD

Quote from: HomerRamone2084 on December 01, 2018, 15:14:20 PM
Dont see why it matters how you retro - however it works for you. Just as long as you have fun !!

Very true!  As long as the games are being played and enjoed, that's all that should matter.

Saturn

I keep buying and playing bc I LOVE THE JAGUAR. I'm kinda bias to this system but do collect for a few others. The simplicity of gameplay is what I grew up with and while the newer systems have phenomenal games and are advanced beyond measure, the old stuff is what I like. Plus, I can hack the hell out of the older games which adds a special element of fun and interest to me. Can't get enough, even to this day!