New Atari 2600 Homebrew - Tyre Trax

Started by TrekMD, September 03, 2018, 00:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

AA member Muddyfunster has just released  a new original homebrew for the Atari 2600.  The games is called Tyre Trax and looks fantastic!  It's still a work in progress but the look of the game reminds me of an Activision title.  Here is his post alone with pictures of the title.  You can download the game here.

----------------

This is a clock racer where the player has to complete the course in the shortest possible time. Still a bunch of things to add (like an in game reset switch function..).

I have no idea how this plays on real hardware as I don't have a Harmany Cart to test as as I'm using the DPC+ kernal, it doesn't work on my Uno_Cart.

Inspiration.

I always used to love games like Barnstorming and Grandprix by Activision where it's you vs the clock. This game is inspired by those and also by the unique art style of classic Activation with the gradient sky etc.

I ride on my mountain bike a lot near where I live in the UK and we have a lot of canals. The idea for this game came when I was out riding along the tow path, having to avoid crazy old ladies with their yappy dogs, fishermen, rocks, and the local chavs (I guess "punk" would be the closest way to describe that to our colonial friends in the US  :) ). I thought this would make a great Atari game so I gave it a shot. In reality the tow path isn't as wide as my game, but then if it was modeled too much on the "real" I guess it wouldn't be much fun as a game  ;-)

Playing

Right now, 4 game modes are present to try out.

Game 1 : Summertime - nice and simple, learn to play (15 obstacles)

Game 2 : Sunset - bit more challenging with more obstacles. (20 obstacles)

Game 3 : Winter - hard, (25 obstacles) - rocks start a bit closer as visibility is lower !

Game 4 : Winter 2 - as above with more obstacles and lower visibility (30).

Controls

Fire or Reset to start after selecting your game.

Right to accelerate

Left to slow down.

If you hit an obstacle you get stopped in your (tyre) trax..

Game over - you will need to restart / reload (next thing I'll be fixing).

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TrekMD

This game has been finalized and it is well worth a look.  Here is a video of the completed game....

Going to the final frontier, gaming...