SNK Is Releasing A "Neo Geo Classic Edition"

Started by TrekMD, April 20, 2018, 02:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

SNK has announced today that it will be jumping on the "Classic Edition" bandwagon with its own new system, which will come pre-loaded with beloved Neo Geo titles. For those who don't know, the Neo Geo was SNK's high-end home system from the '90s, which delivered arcade-quality gaming at eye-watering prices.

We've already seen the NES Classic Edition and SNES Classic Edition, and Sega recently announced it would be creating its own challenger in the form of the Mega Drive Mini. We've also witnessed classic home computers like the ZX Spectrum and C64 getting miniaturised.

This new hardware will no doubt contain titles from franchises such as Fatal Fury, King of Fighters and Samurai Shodown, and is being created to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Japanese company. Many of these games are already available for download on the Switch eShop.

Read more at:  NintendoLife

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

This will be their second attempt, although it sounds like they are doing it themselves this time. The Neo Geo X was made by another company. I have an X and I think it's pretty cool but I know some people didn't like it. Hopefully this will make all the fans happy.

TrekMD

I never got the X.  Maybe this will be a worthwhile system to pick up.

DeadVoivod

Problem with the pre-loaded games on such a console is that they're 80% based on fighting games, which I don't like at all. There are so many other great SNK games.

Plus like I mentioned already before, using RetroArch on a PS3 does the job very well, and you have ALL their games.

zapiy

This is fantastic news.

Certainly something I’m interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Shadowrunner

Just saw these on Twitter.

They are supposedly leaked pics, but they very well could be fake.

If they are real, I'm definitely getting one!

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Shadowrunner

You don't like the look of it or you don't think it's real?

I think it looks nice, but most likely it's fake.

TrekMD

zapiy

Looks terrible lol. plus thats made out of wood as far as i'm concerned.

You are easily pleased shadow  8)

Shadowrunner

Quote from: zapiy on April 20, 2018, 17:17:34 PM
Looks terrible lol. plus thats made out of wood as far as i'm concerned.

You are easily pleased shadow  8)

Well now I hope it is real and that the finished unit looks exactly like the picture. :P ;D

zapiy

Lmfao. If it does at least they will sell one. Yes ONE unit lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dreamcast Gamer

I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would be nice if this turns out better than the X.  What I would like to see happen is for SNK to allow users to purchase more games on a computer through an online store and load them onto an SD card which can then be inserted into the console.  They miss so many great titles with all their compilations and I think it would be great for people like me who would buy all their fighting games so I can get the ones I want.

TrekMD

If they implement an SD card that would make the console even better.  One can only hope.

DeadVoivod

Quote from: TrekMD on April 20, 2018, 22:08:56 PM
If they implement an SD card that would make the console even better.  One can only hope.
That’s probably not going to happen, sadly enough.