The Sega Game Gear Discussion Thread

Started by Dreamcast Gamer, December 21, 2017, 21:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcast Gamer

Sega's 8-Bit Handheld is often neglected because most people think it's just a portable Master System that sucks batteries and is shaped like a brick.  However, these people are actually missing out on one of the greatest portable consoles ever made.  I love it so much that I'd even go as far as saying it's my favorite gaming platform!  So, because I'm obsessed, I'm now starting The Sega Game Gear Discussion Thread!

What are your thoughts on the Game Gear?  Did you have one back when it was new?  What are your favorite Game Gear games?  Show us your collection, reminisce about the handheld, and discuss what you love about it!

TrekMD

I remember seeing the Game Gear in Toys'R'Us all those years ago but I had already bought a Lynx.  Cool that you like the system so much! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Yeah I really don't have that much experience with it either. I've always thought it was pretty cool that you can play Master System games on it with an adapter.

TrekMD

Here is a review of the system by the guys from Game Sack.  What do you think of what they have to say about the system DG?

Dreamcast Gamer

Quote from: TrekMD on December 24, 2017, 17:39:47 PM
Here is a review of the system by the guys from Game Sack.  What do you think of what they have to say about the system DG?

I remember Joe critcizing the Game Gear in one of their earliest episodes, but it seems like after playing several quality titles, both of them grew to appreciate it.  I'd say the main reason people criticize the Game Gear is because they've hardly experienced it and also are convinced that it has poor battery life (newer AA batteries are much better then they used to be).  I'm glad they gave the system a positive review because maybe now more people will be interested.

TrekMD

Well, isn't that usually the case?  People bad mouth things they haven't tried because they heard someone else say something negative about it.  Sad but true. 

Dreamcast Gamer

Quote from: TrekMD on December 25, 2017, 02:55:20 AM
Well, isn't that usually the case?  People bad mouth things they haven't tried because they heard someone else say something negative about it.  Sad but true.
Yeah, most of the complaints revolve around it's lack of portability, but battery life is no longer an issue and the size isn't bad either considering people these days carry their Nintendo Switch and tablets everywhere they go.

TrekMD

The same could be said of the Lynx.  Not exactly a small piece of tech. With lithium batteries, though, these systems work for many hours without problems and, nowadays, with all the larger tech folks carry around these don't seem to be an issue.  :)

Spacedeck

So I'm a GG fan!  Always used on the mains as we never had enough batteries to keep us going.  It was an awesome handheld, even if it was really huge and chunky.  I can't remember whatever happened to the original console we had, it might have broken but my dad was able to buy another on eBay with many more games than what we had!

We didn't have a huge collection at the time, enough to fill a shoebox.  Consisted of a couple of boxed games and the rest was singles.

Two of the main games I used to play was Tazmania and Earnie Els Golf.  I never really understood what I was doing in games at the time but gaming back then was all about just playing them.

Here's a picture of the current collection I have.  I'm also wanting to purchase Winter Olympics and NHL Hockey.

zapiy

Nice collection, not so sure about the background lol.

Whats your fav so far?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Spacedeck

Still need to sit down and have some decent playtime with most of the games but from what I have, I'm really loving Road Rash.

The background is my duvet cover. Colourful and actually pretty nice.

Dreamcast Gamer

I have two Sega Game Gears now so I was finally able to test out my Gear-to-Gear cable for 2-Player gaming!

Shadowrunner

Cool. They look like they're in good condition too.

TrekMD

Dreamcast Gamer

I just wish they actually functioned properly  ;D :'( .  Both of these units need their capacitors replaced.  One has a ton of vertical ghosting and almost no sound and the other one has some sound issues and constantly crashes games, sometimes halfway into a full playthrough.